Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: XML for Special Edition?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:55 am 
Super Man

Has anyone written an Overture XML specifically for (or that will work correctly with) VSL Special Edition Vol 1 ? (full orchestra, not VSL strings...). Or is that even possible with the matrix system VSL uses?
Sorry if this has been covered previously- I searched the Forum but only found references to VSL Strings...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:46 pm 
Super User

Yes, totally possible, but...

Tatsu Nagao created one for the Solo Strings, but that's the only VSL that I've seen. VSL creates SE sets for Finale and Sibelius; you could try to pitch them on doing so for Overture :)

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:16 pm 
Super Man

And so I have- just now- letting them know that they are missing out on even more sales if they do not integrate VSL with Overture like they have for Sibelius. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:37 am 
Super User

Hi Pete,

don't know what you meant to say with that last reply. It not the responsibility of the VSL company writing any xml steering for whatever program. It is up to you completely.

I understood that you want using this without keyswitches, can you then give me some more info how you'd planned using this. You always can do some pre-loading and testing with the Vienna Instruments freestanding feature. Do this first and send me the screenshots of all articulations of all instruments you are planning to use. Then I will try making some xml example for you - you must expand it yourself. Of course it takes a day or two.

Raymond

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:48 am 
Super User

Not their responsibility, but as they do it for Sibelius and Finale, perhaps they can be persuaded...

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:52 am 
Super Man

I sent an email to VSL, not to suggest they get into the xml business- that is a proprietary thing that we use in Overture, is it not? Thanks to many contributions by forum members I have a pretty good understanding of xml functions, though of course creating one from scratch would be laborious and I'll admit being a bit lazy there.

But if EVERY one of us sent a request to VSL to integrate Overture with as complete and easy an interface as they have for Sibelius, would any OV users here complain?

On the one hand, I expect OV5 to have more articulation integration with existing libraries, through up to date and extensive xml files, but on the other hand the way VSL integrates with Sibelius is pretty impressive, and a large library developer, like VSL, is in business to make money. If they receive dozens of requests from users of a notation program (saying they are "potential" buyers of VSL...better than saying you already use it...) it is in their interest to integrate it.

Raymond,
I'll possibly take you up on your offer in the meantime..just starting out on the VSL path through a demo version.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:29 pm 
Super User

Pete,

https://app.box.com/s/y8wdk24myhpm84cvd751

Link to a folder where I've put the xml file for one of the Special Edition Instruments, together with a picture of how I implemented it in OV. OK, it is with keyswitches, but use this xml as some start to your personal needs.

Raymond

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

I have sent a request to VSL for versions 1,2,3 and 4. We'll be able to support them like Sibelius and any other notation program.

Let's see if they respond.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:49 pm 
Super User

Don, is the list of all available XML commands? For instance, I haven't seen any example of MIDI channel change, so don't know if it's not available, or just not used in anything I've looked at.

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

If you mean in Raymond's file, no. It will be extensive when it is complete.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:33 pm 
Super User

In any file... Glad there's a reference on the way!

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:54 pm 
Super User

That xml file was a tailormade one. Just right for my purposes only, but can be used to design another.

Raymond

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:38 am 
Site Admin

Vienna is sending me Vienna (1-4) so I'll have a complete XMl file when Overture 5 is released.

BTW, Overture 5 automatically loads the sample when you choose an instrument for a track, much simpler than Sibelius. No additional setup needed. But, this only works when using one instance for each instrument, which in my opinion is a better way of handling things.

Thank you Raymond for a start and helping others while they patiently and I mean patiently wait for Overture 5.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:53 am 
Super Man

Don,
Once again I am impressed with the amount of flexibility and depth with which you are putting into this new version of Overture. VSL users, let me try to understand this last statement better- that one instance per instrument is a better way of handing this... (paraphrasing, sorry..).

At present, I can only view one instance at a time using the instrument rack and GPO. However, in that one instance I can see and mix up to 16 patches. If I use one instance per instrument, it would seem very cumbersome to switch and view all instruments for mixing, etc. I do know that there is an included software- Vienna Ensemble, in the Special Edition downloads...I assume I can see my complete instrumentation there instead? What is the advantage there as oppoised to the current method of having 16 instruments in an instance?

last question (ha- I bet you heard that before!!). Concerning the use of this new OV5 XML for Vienna, will various articulation patches have to be selected (using their matrix system) or will we just load an instrument as a separate instance, and it will respond to the articulations and expressions in Overture?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:43 am 
Super User

I think what Don means is that you get automatic sample loading the first time you instantiate an instrument only when using individual VI Players on each channel. Once you save the score, you'd get auto loading in any case.

Yes, of course you can use VE and get 16 instances in one slot in the Rack. You need to do that now to bypass the 32bit memory limit in Ove 4. Many people use VE or VE Pro to shift the CPU load of the VSTi to other processor cores.

The XML will do the same thing it does now: automatically select the right articulation based on the markings in the score.

August Foster 190