Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:47 pm 
Super User

Bill Reed wrote:
1. I think what Don means is that you get automatic sample loading the first time you instantiate an instrument only when using individual VI Players on each channel. Once you save the score, you'd get auto loading in any case.

Bad idea. It is only one instrument per Vienna Instrument (Player). Notice there differences between Vienna Instrument and Vienna Instrument Pro. With Vienna Ensemble, once assigned and saved, it loads all instruments automatically. You even can save the settings and instruments in that instance of Vienna Ensemble as a "preset". I do that with SE Orchestral Strings, so they are ready to be called from SONAR, without the need to set up the whole bunch again. It will be a very crowded Instruments Rack when doing all instruments apart.

Where stands the idea of the orchestra. The orchestra is an instrument by itself, divided into several sections. I personnaly think it will be far easier to control a string section, a woodwind section, a brass section....etc in any DAW (think of reverbs per group).

Quote:
Yes, of course you can use VE and get 16 instances in one slot in the Rack. You need to do that now to bypass the 32bit memory limit in Ove 4. Many people use VE or VE Pro to shift the CPU load of the VSTi to other processor cores.

Until Ov is out, it is a MUST, simply.

Quote:
The XML will do the same thing it does now: automatically select the right articulation based on the markings in the score.

And do you really think you are then ready, using the VSL instruments with OV's list of articulations? Forget it, the articulation staccato makes the sound short, but there are differences. Is it short just that, short with a marcato, short slow, repeting staccato going over into spiccato? And a lot more is there to be done. See my xml file (the pdf version) and look at the Control Values.

Right now, I always unset the PLAY box of any articulation and use the articulation of the patch in the matrix. The OV articulations are only there for making the score look neat. My interests lie in the CTRL-G window.

My two cents, and if you don't agree, I'll invite you to listen to the pieces in my WINDOW (see website). Even the solo instruments are loaded with Vienna Ensemble. They all contain MIDI tweaking in the CTRL-G window.

Raymond

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

Raymond,

If I read this correctly, you do not understand Overture's articulations. An staccato dot articulation that just plays the note short is for libraries ( or General MIDI ) that do not have staccato, short samples, etc. Overture can send what ever is needed to trigger the correct sample including key switch, channel change, program change, controller, etc. It can do this for each individual articulation. If is all how you setup each track and what is loaded in the player.

In Overture 5, not only can you send this, you can also send velocities with the key switches.

As for creating templates, sound sets, etc. in Vienna or whatever.

Remember most musicians do not 32 GB machine with Vienna Ensemble running, so Overture has to handle both types of users. Of course you can still map tracks/channels to devices like Overture 4 if the player already has the samples loaded. But for example, if you needed to create a piano and flute piece with Overture 5 using Vienna, without a template, these are the steps from scratch.

1. Click the add track button or menu command or change track playback instrument if there is already a track.
2. In the Track Dialog that appears, choose Vienna ( can set as default if desired ) as device.
3. Choose the desired piano from the list of all Vienna instruments.

1. Click the add track button or menu command. (Vienna is the current device from previous choice)
3. Choose the desired flute from the list of all Vienna instruments.

We're done. The tracks are created and the samples are loaded. Now just enter the notes.No linking track to devices and channels, etc. Each track is routed to a channel strip in Overture's mixer. I guess you'll have to see it to get it.

Hopefully I'll be looking at Vienna Ensemble next week and then get a better understanding of how I can make it work seamlessly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:24 am 
Super User

Don wrote:
Raymond,

If I read this correctly, you do not understand Overture's articulations. An staccato dot articulation that just plays the note short is for libraries ( or General MIDI ) that do not have staccato, short samples, etc. Overture can send what ever is needed to trigger the correct sample including key switch, channel change, program change, controller, etc. It can do this for each individual articulation. If is all how you setup each track and what is loaded in the player.

Wrong assumption. It only never worked overhere. I started with Overture (in 2007?) when I only had GPO with Kontakt and evolved to Vienna passing by (and still using) EWQL. I used the given xml files, made by whoever. And it never worked the way you said in the reply. I tried altering the Expressions Library as well. Selecting Playback (on that Window) makes you select which Patch or Voice and Keyswitch. Never worked.

Selecting an articulation from the Articulations Window, putting it over note and clicking on it, gives me the:
1. symbol of the articulation;
2. possible attack change;
3. duration change;
4. etc.... you know what is in that window.

Only there I can with success assign the right voice, keyswitch, program change and some controller value.
When I apply some expression over a group of notes, I get that Edit Expression window in where I can set the PrgChange, Playback Voice and Keyswitch. But not in an AND situation, it is or Playback Voice or Patch-with-PrgChange. The keyswitch is independent of the choice above, I can always set it. But the keyswitch values default to the first instrument in the xml file.

All those issues point to the assumption that the xml files at installation time, all xml files of esteemed users and even mine, aren't programmed right. Sometimes Overture stalls when having the following sequence of instruments in the Instrument Rack:

1. ARIA
2. EWQL
3. VSL

Overture never loads ARIA and keep saying "not responding". Occasionally it loads, but then working with program is dangerous. It is not the first time that Overture suddenly stops working and unloads itself with an errormessage.
So, when using different libraries, I always load ARIA somewhere in the middle.

And I still love Overture.

No pun intended, greetings

Raymond

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:33 am 
Super User

I don't use the Aria player, but EWQL and VSL always respond the articulation changes in the XML...

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:58 pm 
Super User

After reading all the very helpful posts I have decided to just wait for the OV 5 release and then invest in VSL. It sounds like it will be much easier to take advantage of the Special Edition articulations with OV5.

By the way, I had mentioned that I was going to download a demo version of SE Vol 1 but I was given wrong info- Vienna does mot offer a real demo, other than just letting you hear the patches. There is no way to use it in OV to test it out before purchasing.