Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2nd Sample Library
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:50 pm 
Super User

Hey Forum Buddies,
I've been using GPO for a long time and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm considering a 2nd sample library.
So, I'm hoping I can get some advice.

First, here's what I like about GPO-

1- The samples are excellent- yes, I'm aware of programs like VSL but I also need bang for the buck, and GPO does indeed sound very good.

2- I can use one or two string patches, along with a couple of OV4 articulations, and have most bowings- legato, staccato...covered. I've tried demos of programs where, to get a short bow short enough, or legato long enough, etc. you needed to switch between 4 or 5 different patches.

3- It is very easy to use in OV4, though I have complained about the difficult integration of the articulations menu (hopefully to be solved in OV5) and even with a computer that is several years old, I have no issues.
4- Price- for the quality of the software it is a pretty good buy.

I have looked at the EWQL Play sample library but would love to hear from anyone who has used it with OV4.
Any other libraries that any of you recommend would be welcome too.

Again, I want quality, ease of integration with OV4, and price taken into consideration
I don't mind spending several hundred dollars but several thousand is beyond what I need for my purposes.
Thanks!
Pete

Post subject: Re: 2nd Sample Library
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:12 pm 
Super User

Kontakt works well with OV and almost every virtual instrument maker will have a compatible version.

There's also a long awaited new version of IK SampleTank coming soon. It seems promising.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:18 pm 
Super User

That's interesting to hear because I used to use GPO with the Kontakt player and had all sorts of problems. Then when I upgraded to the new GPO with Aria Player those problems went away.
My request as per this post is for a suggestion for a good sound library (as good or better than GPO), not just the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:04 pm 
Super User

EWQLSO works well with Ove, and already has XML playback definitions. Few other libraries do.

It's often available for half price during they many sales they have during the year (currently on sale).

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:15 pm 
Super User

Thanks Bill,
I will check it out...
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:32 pm 
Super User

Kontakt and SampleTank comes with big libraries.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

HI Pete!

Sorry I missed your post here...I have been using Overture 4 with EW (and many other sound libraries) for years and I highly recommend them to you. The issue(s) you may run into is if you are attempting to load PLAY directly into Overture's VST engine...it works but you can also encounter bugs and you will only be able to utilize up to approximately 3.5 GB of RAM even if your system itself has more than 4GB of RAM. This is due to the 32- bit architecture of Overture even if it is on a 64-bit platform. It will still work but there will be a cap. There are several threads on the forum that speak to this situation and ways around it while we wait for Overture 5. I'd recommend searching 64-Bit on the forum if you haven't done so already!

East West's "older libraries" i.e. the composer's collection (Platinum Plus, or Gold Plus, or Silver etc. Orchestra) is quite affordable and I would definitely say gives you the great bang for your buck that you are looking for...however in my opinion the "newer" Hollywood series for orchestra takes things to a whole other level with quality and realism that can be achieved and I'd rather put my money towards those if I had a choice. LASS and Symphobia 1 & 2 are also a few more libraries I would highly recommend you look into! These libraries have a great "out of box" sound that you can get right to working with without a whole lot of tweaking. Vienna is also exceptional and comes "dry" so they need some tweaking to polish...but absolutely wonderful once polished.

Feel free to pm me if you like!

Be well,
~Dean

http://www.deankrommydas.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:05 pm 
Super User

Dean,
Thanks for a very informative reply. I will research that RAM issue. I currently load 3 instances of GPO into my rack with zero issues (usually....) and I would not want to have anything less available for a large score, but it seems like that sound quality/features with EWQL Symphonic is what I'm looking for to have an alternative GPO.

Interestingly, I just had an issue come up which I'll post on the Technical Issues forum since that's where it belongs...
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:38 pm 
Super User

Pete, what are the specs on your system/OS?

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:28 pm 

Regarding the memory issue (32 bit) - does anybody have any experience running Overture with jbridge?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:02 am 
Super User

Because of the limitations of Overture in the Mac version, Jbridge can't be used. But it seems to works on Windows.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:13 pm 
Super User

Windows 7 Por/ X64. Internal RAM 24 Gb. Using jBridged PLAY, because only then it can use more than 4 Gb of the X86 limitations dictated by OV4. One project has 8 instances of PLAY plus 1 instance of PianoTeq. I only have to set the ASIo buffer (under Audio Preferences) to 50.

It simply works. Sometimes there are issues when using ARIA also, but I cannot put a finger on this.

Raymond

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:07 pm 
Super User

After much soul-searching and wallet-searching I have decided that a good "2nd" library to accompany GPO is EWQL Orchestra Gold. I am actually in the middle of the longest download/extraction/install I have even encountered, but looking forward to new sounds. I'm aware that in GPO those patches labeled "KS"are designed to take advantage of the keyswitching functions (like using articulations ). I have not had great results in GPO- I have never been able, with a KS patch or not, to get pizz or arco switched successfully and I've just gotten around it with other methods. I'm hoping that EWQL will be "Overture - Friendlier. I've not been able to, as I just stated, get GPO to repond to anything but staccato dots or accents.

Looking at the EWQL xml file, I just noticed something odd- the "pizz" articulation has nothing after it,

"pizz"/>

whereas the GPO xml, has

"pizz" keySwitch="F(x)"/>

Is there something missing there???

And last question, since there are no KS patches in EWQL (are there???) will it still work for the different articulations?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:11 pm 
Super User

adding to the above... the Aria Player xml DOES have something for pizz... Just starting to understand this stuff... I think :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:27 am 
Super User

Continuing....
Last night I got everything installed (EWQL Gold) and working... I loaded the violin section into a score I already had. I used a "KS" patch. I tried entering pizz or legato, etc. over notes and there was no change...or the articulation was totally something other than what the expression/articulation said, or complete silence. In the EWQL instrument main page it lists a bunch of articulations with a keyswitch note next to it. But the EWQL xml has different KS notes than what defaults in EWQL.. When I double click on the expression/articulation I sometimes get yet another KS note indicated. I assume I can change every expression until it matches what is in EWQL but isn't that the purpose of an xml? Once the KS instrument is loaded, shouldn't the expressions and articulations match? Do I need to do something with that xml file so that it is recognized by OV?