Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: VSL Newbie/OV4 Veteran
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:35 pm 
Super User

Ok- 3 questions for you VSL experts...

First:

For someone who has used GPO for years and has done some pretty extensive scores (BTW I just posted one on the Scores and Demos forum...), is the "basic" VSL library- the Special Edition Volume 1, a worthwhile companion or replacement? Is it overall a better sounding library? I should add here that I share Dean's method of dealing with articulations as separate voices/midi channels in OV- I don't really need xml's/keyswitches...

Second:
Again, for someone familiar with GPO and Ari Player.... is the method of loading individual patches into VSL as straightforward as with Aria Player- choose a patch and load it? I have read a lot of references to Matrices, etc. but isn't that only if needing keyswitch functions?

Third:
Does SE Vol 1 come with a reverb such as Convolution, etc or are all the patches totally dry? Their website is not that clear as they keep pushing the MIR Mixing software...

Thanks in advance.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:58 pm 
Super User

Answering the first. Without keyswitches using VSL SE is possible, there are limited different articulations. But be aware of many different voices = staves. It will be different when using the Full library. Your score will be overcrowded with diff voices, which make it almost unreadible.

The third question. The convolution reverb only appears when using Vienna Ensemble Pro (if I remember well from the manuals). In Vienna Instruments there is a "calculated" reverb, I never use. For me the reverbs in SONAR are better, apart form the fact taht lately I am using Altiverb 64 bits / Windows, which still is the very superb reverb tool.

The second question: with ARIA and GPO you can load as many voices as you want. Not restricted to one instance of ARIA, but your channel/staff housekeeping must be delt with great care (as with using Vienna Ensemble for applying multiple SE voices).

Raymond

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:32 pm 
Super User

Raymond,
Thanks again. But let me get this one thing straight because it still seems confusing-

In GPO I can load Violin 1- sus-short (for example) and Violin 1 Pizz and Violin 1 tremolo, or whatever articulation I want into the SAME instance with different midi channels, enabling me to trigger each one by assigning them to a different voice on the same staff.

In VSL, as I understand it, each instance is not multi-timbral, and I can''t designate pizz, staccato, sus-short, etc. on different midi channels. It seems, then, that keyswitching is the ONLY way I can have changes of articulation unless someone has a rock-solid xml that will work with SE Volume 1 and Overture, or VSL starts supplying an interface as they do with Sibelius.

Is this a correct assumption? (I do not want a score with 50 staves for the purposes of having it playback correctly. :) !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:45 am 
Super User

Pete,
later today I will post some screenshots and "help" text to clear this up.

Raymond

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:11 am 
Super User

Pete,

ALL WITHOUT KEYSWITCHES, JUST USING DIFFERENT VOICES (on diff. channels)

I managed making some screenshots. Link is: https://app.box.com/s/6vnogw4wk2jbib41f057

Download also the .ove file for some score lines.

I'll hope you are familiar with VSL Special Edition Orchestral Strings and how to drag teh patches to a matrix (that square in the middle). I don't know if it is necessary, but I did this with Vienna Instruments Pro. I won't need Vienna Ensemble Pro, because all the feature therein are also in SONAR (and other programs).

Look carefully at the names of the files, the include some explanation. If you need more info, please PM me. I am sure I will see you there for further tutorials. Right now I am too lazy to write "the book" thinking of you are clever enough to understand the screenshots. One important thing: the channels in Ov. must be the same as the channels in Vienna. It is that small number at the left right next to all (left side of the window).

Have fun,

Raymond

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:12 pm 
Super User

Raymond,
I am deeply grateful for the effort you put into answering my questions! From your examples, I it looks like my fears are unjustified. There are many badly written explanations on other sites. Even the software expert at Sweetwater, whom I would be buying SE from, couldn't explain it satisfactorily, as most sale persons seem to only use VSL (and other libraries) in DAW's.

I have arranged to buy the $30 VSL key so that I can download a demo version of SE and play with it for a while.

Thanks again for your valuable help and good luck with your composing! (Check my post in Demos & Scores if you get the time...)

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:29 am 

The second question: with ARIA and GPO you can load as many voices as you want. Not restricted to one instance of ARIA, but your channel/staff housekeeping must be delt with great care (as with using Vienna Ensemble for applying multiple SE voices).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:43 pm 
Super User

Abeha (and others who joined in this discussion),
My greatest excitement about OV5' pending release (I truly hope... :) is the thought that the expressions will work much better, i.e much more thoroughly and automatically, than OV4 has worked with my sample library, GPO. (Of course that should also be the case with it's own included sample library.) It should no longer be necessary to delve into controller settings, note length settings, XML files, velocity settings, etc. to switch between pizz, arco, staccato, tremolo, legato, accents, and the most common expressions and dynamic markings. I am really looking forward to that day.

Having read countless posts on this forum, it seems that GPO, VSL, and EWQL are the most common libraries being used and they should all work seamlessly in playback using any expression for which there is a keyswitch instrument in the library itself.
I realize that these things will still be "tweakable" through the OV menu but that should be the exception.