Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

This is a work in progress, but may help some of you now to come to grips with the new automatic playback features.

Its unfinished but covers the auto-keyswitching, auto-controllers for articulations, and the auto-voice/channel changing for articulations.

http://www.lostandlonging.com/Overture% ... raries.pdf

There's still quite a bit left to cover, but I feel it may prove useful to some of you right now.

This manual will be quite lengthy to cover all important aspects of using Overture 4 with MANY VST sample libraries.

Until I can cover it extensively in the manual here's a manual on how the Ghost Note routine works with VSL:

http://www.lostandlonging.com/Overture4 ... Manual.pdf

And the test file...

http://www.lostandlonging.com/Overture4 ... teFile.zip

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by Joseph Burrell on Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:14 pm 
God of Transposition

Joseph Burrell wrote:
This is a work in progress, but may help some of you now to come to grips with the new automatic playback features.

Its unfinished but covers the auto-keyswitching, auto-controllers for articulations, and the auto-voice/channel changing for articulations.

http://www.lostandlonging.com/Overture% ... raries.pdf

There's still quite a bit left to cover, but I feel it may prove useful to some of you right now.

This manual will be quite lengthy to cover all important aspects of using Overture 4 with MANY VST sample libraries.

Let me know your thoughts.

This is nice. I'm wondering if the eventual, longer-term goal is to enable users to "roll their own" XML library files, or do you want to keep that in-house to ensure quality control?

Has there been any thought of a "front end" that would allow the user to create their own XML library files?

Wish I woulda seen this sooner--I didn't find it until tonight!!

Snor

Yanmaha 642-II NEO and Yamaha 321 euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 baritone, blue pBone, Conn 50H trombone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:23 pm 

Even without a tool, the XML seems so straightforward that it shouldn't be a nightmare to create them.

Uh... But, the person writing this message (me) STILL hasn't figured out how to write a patch for the Korg SP-500... so, you may not want to trust his definition of 'straightforward'! :lol:

I'm wondering how they might link homegrown XML definitions into the product. I suspect there would have to a be some sort of naming convention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:16 pm 

I think you've summarized the position correctly, TomDM.

The tool, whatever it is, will only automate the procedure to extent of writing out a coherent, sensible XML file that Overture doesn't choke on. Half the job. Whether it's the bigger half, or the smaller half depends on your point of view. At some point a user will have get out the tech docs for the sound device, be it hardware or software, (ha!) decipher its control parameters, and decide which parameter is going to activate what articulation, etc.

FWIW I imagine a the tool would look something along the lines of a complete list of articulations, etc in a left pane, and various widgets in the right pane to enter the selected parameter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

A front-end utility has been discussed, but not decided on. We're still not sure if we want to leave the instrument definitions in an open format (XML) or encode them. I personally would absolutely explode into a drooling, steaming, unholy rage the likes of which would be previously unseen by mankind should I see my work in another application.

Its something we've considered, but there are more important things to do at this point. I'd say, maybe in version 5. The structure of the instrument definitions are such that anyone could copy and paste a copy of one and with some trial and error, get a new one working from that base file. Its not overly difficult to do, but the structure is easy to break if you're not careful about closing tags in the file.

Again, maybe in the future, but we definitely aren't focused on it at this point in time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:35 pm 

Having things like instrument definition files remain in XML is a plus from a user point of view. For instance, I was able, by reading through the XML, to see just which Keyswitches were implemented and which ones weren't... all in a single location.

I was also impressed that I could see the affects of all the articulation, expression and instrument settings in one tidy location. This has invaluable to me for learning more quickly.

More importantly, I can, as you've pointed out, modify the XML and tweek the behaviours of the articulations without messing up the baseline product. I can actually see that a variety of XML definitons for GPO for various music types might possible just by exchanging names of various XML files directed at the same instrument library.

I'm not sure if this would be able to have post-effects on the score behavior since it appears that you save the behaviors each time the articulation is 'posted' to the note. But, if it did, this would also be a great way to globally change behaviours for experimentation.

Of course, the user should know that it's THEIR responsibility once they go down that path. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Added links to the VSL Ghost Note routine in the topmost post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:11 am 

The 'ghost note' concept is very cool. Of course, that's one more hurdle I have to learn! So much to learn and so few hours! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Yes, it is a cool idea.

It allows you to accent the first note of a slurred/legato passage while retaining the interval transitions found in VSL products.

And its pretty easy to do, thanks to our built in Ghost Note routine. Taa daa. Overture is the best.