Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:41 am 
God of XML

Last edited by Tatsu Nagao on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:39 am 
Super User

I can only provide a description.
Here are a few:

Legato - Note of full length but with a soft attack(not slurred)
Detache - Detached legato notes - perceived gap between notes.
Half step trill - notes a semitone apart in rapid succession.
Whole step trill - notes a tone apart in rapid succession
Harmonics - Stringed instruments - string lightly touched at a node point to produce a "ghost" note above.
Spiccato - Strings - bow bounced on string to produce short notes.
Vibrato - Tone wavering rapidly (usually) around the nominal pitch to "warm" the tone.
No Vibrato - Flat unwavering tone.

Fall Off - Rapid descent to an indefinte pitch with reducing dynamic.
(Combination of fingering and lip pitch in brass and reeds).
Slide or Gliss up and Down - Change in pitch from one note to another.
(True gliss on brass instruments only possible with the trombone - other instruments involve fingering the intermediate notes and/or variation in pitch with the lips [brass and reed instruments]).
Lift - Pitching up to a note from below. (Smear similar)
Bend - Change in pitch down and up while holding a note.
Doit - Like a Fall Off only upward.
Plop - Pitching down to a note - similar to Fall Off - begins at indefinte pitch above and finishes on the note.
Shake - Similar to a trill but made on brass instruments with the lip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:01 am 
God of XML

Last edited by Tatsu Nagao on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tatsu,
It has been a while since I have been on the forums, but I think I will frequent more to help with endeavors when possible.

detache is notes with no slur or accent, so just a note.

legato is with a slur, or with the expression "legato" preceding the notes.

If you can find it, Gardner Read's Music Notation book is great for explaining all articulation symbols, even jazz and modern ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:36 am 
God of XML

Last edited by Tatsu Nagao on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:07 am 
Super User

Can it be done with an Expression - Detache.
Then edit the expression for key switches.
I don't know I'm not a sample user.

Here is a page on bowing notation.
http://tinyurl.com/639jx3

Personally I would notate with the Expression "Detache" but if I had to I would notate with a tenuto and stacatto combined (Dot over dash) implying long but shorter notes but I guess this isn't standard (it doesn't exist in the Geniesoft articulation set) but there is a Dash over Dot (whatever that means)??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:50 am 
God of Transposition

If you just enter the notes, with no marking, they will be played detached, because each note will have alternating up- or down bows.

For string players, slurs should indicate BOWING as well as phrasing.

Notes under a slur will be played with one up- or down-bow and are therefore connected.

So if you want "regular notes," just write the notes. If you want very short notes, indicate a staccato.

Yanmaha 642-II NEO and Yamaha 321 euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 baritone, blue pBone, Conn 50H trombone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:21 am 
God of XML

Last edited by Tatsu Nagao on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:28 pm 

I am hacking the Synful Orchestra XML for the new string playing modes in version 2.4... similar issues.

While Overture is remarkably flexible (and prescient) in supporting articulations, there are a few decisions to be made. One is how to revert to "normal" playing from a particular mode, e.g. from pizz to normal playing. Sometimes there are conventional expressions. We can note that arco, pizz, bartok pizz, col legno are mutually exclusive.

Not so for other playing techniques. One can sound the strings in the above ways, either sul tasto or sul ponticello or in between. One can do all of these with or a without a mute (con sordino). It is suggested here http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesoundexchange/the_orchestra/strings/string_techniques/bowing/
to specify "ord" (ordinary? ordinaire? ordinato??) in the score at the end of sul tasto and sul ponticello sections. It seems better to map this reversion to arco than to detache. Either way, Overture's expressions library has to be edited to add these expressions. If con sordino is used, there should also be the corresponding senza sord expression.

Legato can be specified in the XML file - in various ways. It may need to be supported as a separate instrument definition, e.g. by bank selection for a sample library. Alternatively it can be specified as an attribute "durationPct" (duration percentage), or as keyswitch element. Finally, each slur in the score can be individually specified - tho the XML file allows articulation sets to be defined for classes of instruments and for individual instruments, as well as globally.

Another flexibility (or complexity ;)) is that some articulations can be specified in the score either on the note heads or as expression text, e.g. harmonics. The XML file can define both behaviours.

The main problem with expressions is that you can switch them on but not off. That is, there is no way to specify a range of notes or measures, as you can for accel and rit. Sometimes it would be convenient to do this. At worst, ad hoc solutions are feasible - define a private "revert" expression in Ov's expression library, map it to a synth parameter, and if necessary obscure its presence in the score with a white rectangle. However, I cannot imagine much need for this strategy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:28 pm 
God of XML

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:17 pm 

Thanks Tatsu-san for your comment. I hope Don tells someone about the XML extensions :). It would be useful to have them in your nice VST XML Guide.

I am using (free) Notepad++ text editor for XML documents. It is a "folding editor", so you can expand/contract sections (XML elements) easily. It also has real-time "syntax coloring", so you can instantly see if you have omitted to close elements correctly. It has quite a lot of users, and it has yet to crash on me.

One useful addition for the Guide: XML can include comments (like HTML), as long as the start and end do not cross element boundaries. The syntax is: <!-- comment -->

re 9.1: controller chasing - Synful does not reset to a default, e.g. if you stop in a pizz section, playback from the beginning is in pizz. It is not clear if the issue is Overture (does it send a "reset" to the VST?) or in the VST (does it have a "reset" status for its instrument?).

re 9.3: definable articulation symbols - the restriction here I think is Overture's symbol pallettes. It would be fantastic if Overture had a facility for user-defined articulations/symbols. Given what it already does in terms of symbol playback, I think there could be a mass influx of new Overture users as a result of this. (Of course, people would then ask why they cannot attach bits of notation or sound files to a symbol...).

Fortunately, it is now possible to add new items to the Expressions library, and specify a default playback procedure.