Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

WIN:
MAC:

NOTE: Please read this before downloading.
I added a setting in preferences to show out of range notes in faded color. If set, any notes out of the track's range as drawn with faded heads.
So if you have not set the instruments range in the Track Inspector, you'll see notes faded.
To correct it, set the correct instrument's range or turn off "Show out of range notes in faded color" in the preferences dialog.
Previously Show out of range notes was a dialog that appeared when notes are entered or dragged out of range.

Improvements
Added feature allowing playing of only selected notes. Enabled this in the Options>Play menu.
Added key commands to enter hairpins on selected notes. Shift+, (< hairpin), and Shift+. (> hairpin).
Added key command to extend/shorten the end of hairpins, slurs, ottavas, etc. Shift+Alt[opt] + left/right arrow.
You can now assign key commands for all symbols in Dynamics palette using Key Bindings.
Added ability to automatically turn of expression key switch at end of extension line if the Line type is not set to none.
Added setting in preferences to show out of range notes in faded color.
Added a "Use velocity for volume" setting in Track Inspector, Expressions panel.
Improved key switch playback to handle nested expressions and slurs that have ending key switch set.
Improved slur placement on note with articulations.
Improved slur shape.
When copy dragging note to add chord members the new note is now selected, instead of the original.
Added Chord panel setting preference "Prefer +/- over sharp/flat.
Add ability to mouse wheel up/down the articulation and expression panel, just like symbols panel.
Added Ctrl[cmd] click on barline to lock/unlock a measure.
Removed the ability to add articulation/ornaments randomly on the score. You must now click directly on the note or drag around the note(s).
While moving through pages, the current track is now kept active.
Added Orchestra Harp to top section of the the GM Sound Map.
Added several Garritan Library SoundMaps (They are not totally completed and two more coming soon, but feel free to test them)
Added Berlin Strings SoundMap. (The whole series is coming soon)
You can now paste tablature into a normal staff.
You can now drag entire note in MIDI Edit mode by dragging the middle of the horizontal bar.
In track inspector, long instrument names now scale to fit in the cell.
The Data View now displays double barlines and repeats in it's grid.
You can now right click to show menu on tool bar buttons that have menus.
Added a "Quite" option in the metronome setting in Options>Metronome menu.
When advancing to next/previous note using Alt[opt] left/right arrow, the newly selected note head(s) are played.
Disabled automatically coloring muted notes so you must manually change the color if you want it grey after muting the note(s).

Fixes
Fixed bug that cause wrong pitch/accidental on some notes after clef change where there was a key signature following the clef change.
Fixed problem that left beams with unattached stems after flipping.
Quantize now works properly on start times.
Fixed quarter tone settings not being read in after save.
Fixed problem that occasionally flipped tuplets in nudging horizontally.
Slur offset setting in Track Inspector is now used when inserting slurs.
Fixed problem where arpeggio marks with arrows could not be inserted by clicking directly on note.
Fixed problem that caused wrong playback tempo when starting in the middle of a score.
Fixed note alignment problem in first measure on system on tracks that do not show clefs.
Fixed chord recognition problem with Ab (-5 ∆).
Fixed an accidental spacing problem on note following a 16th rests.
Fixed problem when switching to transposed score that broke note/slur attachment at end.
Fixed paste problem that did not justify measure after paste.
Fixed a spacing problem with Pedal marks.
Fixed "Move to Previous Page" and "Move to Next Page" glitch in Key Bindings.
Fixed MusicXML export problem with comments on Mac.
Fixed problem that reversed hairpin direction when setting opaque box dialog.
Fixed problem that left Liner View icon out of sync when switching between active parts.
Fixed Mac problem where the OS set the read only flag when copying some files.
Fixed a spacing problem when vertically dragging systems that caused them to move to a different page.
Dynamics now remember the dynamic volume setting of velocity or controller.
Fixed problem that randomly caused the red handles to be exposed on images.
Fixed problem that left the Edit MIDI Data setting on when switching between scores.
Fixed crash on insert page.
Fixed crash when adding a 1st ending near end of score.
Fixed crash on tracks with hairpins in a voice that had no notes during playback.
Fixed paste crash when coping data from a track and pasting in a new score that had less tracks than the copied track.
Fixed mordent speed on non quarter notes. The mordent speed is now 32nd notes.
Fixed Baritone horn instrument setting in GM SoundMaps.

Hopefully this is all crashes have been fixed. Please let me know ASAP if you find one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:42 pm 
Super Man

Don't know for sure if this is a brand new bug but I sure don't recall ever dealing with it before. Score attached.
Measure 104-105- the second Bb does not sound. In a few other places as well, the 2nd of two notes of the same pitch will not sound (using GPO if that is needed).
I have tried manipulating it in the data window...i.e. shortening the duration of the first note a bit, but this doesn't fix it.

Attachments:
IV Dance.ovex [148.98 KiB]
Downloaded 104 times

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

The two Bbs are overlapping.
You need a bigger gap, especially with GPO sustains.
The same for the following As.
You can slow it down temporarily to hear it clearly by using the tempo slider on the transport.

A simple way to do this is to select the passages and use the Notes>Modify command.
Select legato and set its value to 95%.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:46 am 
Super Man

I appreciate the advice. I don't recall it happening before and I tried shortening the notes in midi (Data Window) but got no results. I will try again using the method you suggest.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:09 pm 
Super Man

Don wrote:
The two Bbs are overlapping.
You need a bigger gap, especially with GPO sustains.

The same for the following As.

Hi Pete,

I refer to this sort of blip as "MIDI straddle." I've encountered it many times with adjacent overlapping unisons (on the same channel).

It can occur when, in one voice, there are two notes of the same pitch, and time value of the first note's tail overlaps the head of the next note. Some sequencers handle it gracefully, others do not. In Overture we hear just a blip of the second note.

Don wrote:
A simple way to do this is to select the passages and use the Notes>Modify command.
Select legato and set its value to 95%.

Alternate solution:

Pete, your slurs have Edit Slur>Change>Duration to 105% of note value.

Simply double-click the slur and change the value to 100% and the problem disappears. And this way you don't have to go guessing with Set Legato ... and settle for less than full durations.

Hard to tell by QuickHelp if the Change>Duration extends the face value or the existing end time value. And that is critical to know. (Seems like it ought to be an option.)

Like pitch range errors, I think Overture could flag situations that cause straddle blips. Or perhaps we could have a "unison straddle" preference for stopping the first note of a straddle, so the second note plays properly.

scorster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:37 am 

Playback issues with new release

Although I love some of the improvements in the new release (particularly slurs and alt left/right arrows navigation) there are a few playback issues with the new release and the attached score (which played fine in OV5.6.0-1):-

M9 the pp in VnsII is ignored - if I delete the previous double hairpin it is fine though.
M18 last beat in VnsI & VnsII sounds all stuttery.
M21 all instruments sounds all stuttery on beat 1 but only if you start playback before that measure!
M36 VnsI sounds all stuttery.

Cheers
David

Attachments:
Elements - fire - strings.ovex [381.74 KiB]
Downloaded 92 times

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:13 am 
Super Man

Thank you for the help in finding solutions to the "overlapping" notes. The reason I posted the issue here is because this is not a new score. I have played it many times before this new update and those notes, using the same GPO library, did not overlap.
However, I will shorten the slur value as you suggest and, unless this issue keeps happening on scores that previously had no problem, I will consider it a rare glitch. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

crossbow,

I have fixed the pp not playing error.
As for m21 stuttery, look at your articulations.
You are adding a lot of velocity.
The staccato dot at end of measure should use a key switch, not the midi settings.
I don't hear the other stuttery as you describe.

So I am assuming you converted this file from a midi file and when asked to change the tracks' articulations, said no.
I could be wrong, but based on the articulation settings, this is why the velocity is set incorrectly and the key switch was not set.

Next update coming soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:20 pm 

Hi Don,
Glad you have fixed the pp not playing - thanks.

The file was written from scratch in 5.6.0-1 (not imported) using default articulations with ASO and they play perfectly in 5.6.0-1.

The dots add 30 to velocity on a base of 60 so shouldn't be and isn't an issue in 5.6.0-1

I have just investigated further and if I delete the double hairpins in M21 the stuttering problem in that bar goes away.
Similarly if I delete the closing hairpins on VnsI&II in M18 the stuttering at the end of that bar also disappears.

So I think the problem is definitely related to hairpins and not to articulations.

Perhaps you could have another look.
Thanks
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Well I fixed the hairpin problem, so hopefully that is all.
I just uploaded new updates, so download and try it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:17 pm 

Hi Don,
Yes, that has fixed all those issues.
Thanks again. :)
David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:02 am 

Thank you so much for this great release Don! I see a bug I mentioned was fixed and I'm very grateful.

One thing though: when I read "Add ability to mouse wheel up/down the articulation and expression panel, just like symbols panel" I thought I'd be able to scroll up and down the Expression list of the Text tab in the left panel, but it's still not possible, and if I have a lot of custom expressions the panel gets truncated and I can't access the hidden expressions.

So I don't know if it is the right place but I dream of:
    - Scrolling the expression list in the Text tab
    - Being able to delete the default expressions

I can move these remarks to another part of the forum if it helps.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Fixed the scrolling issue in the next update.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:09 pm 

Don wrote:
Fixed the scrolling issue in the next update.

Thank youuuu!!!