Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

Using ASO by default as default instrument in place of GM is not a good idea.
MusicXML scores do not require an accurate description of the actual instrument and you would end up replacing most of them anyway.
You can always use the Tracks>Remap Playback, the fastest method, which is why the function is there.

The latest update has Amadeus Templates.

I stated before that the ASO SoundMap floating around was not an official release and that there would be an official release that supported Amadeus directly.
I wish you all would do research and read before commenting.
This takes a lot of my time to read things that should not be here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:30 am 

Doug Kerr wrote:
Hi, Merv,

Merv wrote:
I’m waiting for a total integration (marriage) of ASO into the Overture UI and code base (and bypassing all that Kontakt overhead and expense).

I'm not sure what you mean by "Kontakt . . . . expense". Are you referring to expense by the user? As far as I recall, my Kontakt 5 and Kontakt 6 players were free.

Doug

Doug is right. Kontakt is a paid product. Kontakt Player is free.

Only libraries that are properly licensed through Native Instruments can use the free Kontakt Player instead of Kontakt. ASO is one of those libraries.

If you already have the purchased version of Kontakt, you have no need for the free Kontakt Player.

Overture 5.5.4, DP 9.52, Logic Pro X, Finale 26.1, Encore 5.0.7, SmartScore X2 Pro, Notion 6
Legacy G4-1K DP: OS 10.4.11, OS 9.2, Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:17 am 

Yes, that is correct. Why buy something when you can get it free! Isn’t capitalism great! (But there’s always a caveat)

It would appear that Don has forever attached himself to the Native Instruments train which I suppose is a wise business decision.

In a perfect world this is what I would recommend…

1. Don, make your own player. N.I.’s is not bad, but you could make it better. Others have done it. Tell N.I. where to stuff it. As a programming/software engineer it will give you a new project to work on and keep you busy, thus out of trouble.
2. Your player will be uniquely suited to your maturing ASO library (and perhaps those of many others).
3. Your ‘player’ will be more versatile, flexible, feature rich, user friendly, and easy to use. You have already developed this concept with your Overture/ScoreWriter programming paradigm.
4. You won’t hold honest and hard-working library developer’s hostage with some rip-off pay as you go scheme.

But, alas… this is not a perfect world.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 am 
Site Admin

Tell me what player is better than Kontakt.

Nothing has more capabilities and 90% of all professional libraries are Kontakt, making it easier for professionals to understand.
Professionals can open up Kontakt and alter the sounds to suit their needs.
Believe me, I did plenty of research.
The only drawback is that a host can't pick a channel and say load this sample.

And to be truthful, Native was easy to work with.
Other companies have complained about Native, but after working with them, I have to assume it was the companies fault.

I will not say which, but their is one alternative coming along and when it matures, I may take a look at it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:41 pm 

In no way am I ‘dissing’ Kontakt. It’s great to work with and you made a wise business decision in working with them. I was only suggesting that ASO works within Overture like GM does – a powerful, but invisible presence. With some programming skullduggery and inventiveness why couldn’t it happen? Anyway, I was just thinking out loud. Perhaps we shouldn’t bring the idea up any more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:15 pm 

My Kontakt Player and Amadeus are working, but not showing up in the Overture Library Panel. Software Instrument says "none". is there a drive or file location issue?..or?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:34 am 

Here is a very simplistic answer, but hopefully it can resolve your issue… (I have no idea what your platform is/or your specs are, so this information may just be gobbledygook.

The latest release of Overture will contain the up to date files you need to make Overtures Library Panel display what you need. You should find a file called ‘Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra.xml’ in your ‘Plugin Devices’ folder. If it’s not there (and it should be), find it and put it there.

You should also find a file called ‘Kontakt.dll’ in your VSTPlugins folder. (Make sure it is the 65,127 KB file.) If it’s not there, find it and put it there.

With these two important files placed in their proper locations Overture should display what you are missing. Others may offer more pertinent information for you to consider (such as rescanning your plugins).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:07 am 
Super User

Instead of moving ‘Kontakt.dll’, you want to add it's location to the search path in the Plugin manager. Otherwise you'll have to move it over and over whenever there's a Kontakt update.

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:08 am 
Site Admin

FrankL,

Make sure you have the latest Overture 5 update. 5.5.4 released Jan 1, 2019.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm 

thanks everyone...I managed to figure out from another forum..as Bill Reed mentioned, it was a matter of selecting the correct directory (which was my problem) and then scanning them into the VST plug-in Manager..thanks all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:26 am 

Merv wrote:
In no way am I ‘dissing’ Kontakt. It’s great to work with and you made a wise business decision in working with them. I was only suggesting that ASO works within Overture like GM does – a powerful, but invisible presence. With some programming skullduggery and inventiveness why couldn’t it happen? Anyway, I was just thinking out loud. Perhaps we shouldn’t bring the idea up any more.

I agree totally !!!

When using Sibelius or Dorico or Finale with Note performer, you open an Xml file and you get immediately great sound because you can choose to have Noteperformer as default instrument.

That's why it would be great to have ASO as possible default, loading all great sounding instruments when opening a file.

nanotk