Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 am 
Super User

Having a discussion with one of my friends about Overture and Amadeus, he wrote:

Quote:
Is Amadeus integrated in Overture as Notion is with the sounds of LSO. Within a couple of minutes one can set up an orchestral layout with all instruments and staves.

When I open a NEW stringquartet, the score is there, and in Inspector the Kontakt lib is mentioned, but the individual instruments aren't. I stll have to tie the instrument to the staff.

Raymond

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:11 am 
Super User

The ASO Templates aren't currently working properly. When they're fixed, the instruments will load by themselves.

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 am 
Super User

But, as an intermediate solution, one can do remap. I just did for the string quartet and it works. The Remap loads the instruments. Of course you have to assign them in the remap window.

Raymond

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 am 
Super User

Ray hello,
The answer is "No". Amadeus is not integrated into Overture, like the LSO for Notion, or the Sibelius Sound Library. Let's make some things clear...
The only integrated thing is the player which is used to playback this sounds, but the libraries for Notion and Sibelius, themselves aren't integrated.
Only the General MIDI library is fully integrated! :-)
Amadeus uses Kontakt to host and playback the library. Kontakt is not integrated into Overture.
The only thing, which is part of Overture is the Sound Map for the library. This makes the creating of templates faster and you can remap.
You can also create your own templates, or User Presets, and they will work in a similar way. But this doesn't make the library, nor the player integrated.
I hope this answers the question of this topic! :-)

Greetings! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 am 
Super User

Thurisaz, thank you for the explanation.

Raymond

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 am 

Hi, Raymond,

Raymond63 wrote:

When I open a NEW stringquartet, the score is there, and in Inspector the Kontakt lib is mentioned, but the individual instruments aren't. I still have to tie the instrument to the staff.

Here, if I open a template (say, String Quartet) from the ASO set, in Inspector>Track>Playback, I see the ASO instrument assigned to each track.

If you double click on the output device window in Inspector>Track>Playback to open the Choose Instrument dialog, does it show the output device as Kontakt, the Library as Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra, and a menu tableau of the instruments in ASO?

If not, perhaps somehow the ASO instrument definition file ("sound map") is not properly in place, or the other files that support that.

Best regards,

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:50 am 

Bill Reed wrote:
The ASO Templates aren't currently working properly. When they're fixed, the instruments will load by themselves.

Has this been sorted out yet?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 pm 
Super User

Not yet, but manually adding instruments to a score works fine. You can then save that as a Template, and that will work fine.

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:40 pm 

Bill Reed wrote:
Not yet, but manually adding instruments to a score works fine. You can then save that as a Template, and that will work fine.

OK, thank you for the update. I will buy ASO when this has been corrected. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:56 am 
Super User

Bill Reed wrote:
The ASO Templates aren't currently working properly. ... but manually adding instruments to a score works fine. You can then save that as a Template, and that will work fine.

user123456 wrote:
OK, thank you for the update. I will buy ASO when this has been corrected. :D

I'm in the same boat ... waiting for things to shake down. And having high hopes for a place for ASO in my "rack" of audio tools.

Last edited by scorster on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:08 am 

Why are some folks so lazy?

What’s wrong with having to manually load instruments into your project? What’s wrong with creating a template that suits your particular and unique needs? What’s wrong with creating a ‘user preset’ for an instrument with all articulations and expressions clearly defined that are up to your personal and perhaps exacting standards? Once it’s done once, you’re set to go for all future projects that relate to your music creation standards.

Some folks act as if this lack of integration is a showstopper. It’s not! This unassuming little and underestimated program offers a flexibility that is unsurpassed by the far too big and way too clumsy players in the music notation field.

In one of his previous posts, Don has hinted that a new paradigm for Overture 6 is upcoming … I’m interested to see what he means, but until then I can easily and comfortably work within the constraints of what Overture offers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:25 am 
Super User

Amen....
How we complain about having to "load instruments".. ! (I'm guilty of complaining too...) Imagine what Beethoven would have thought about all this !!!
Try writing everything by hand, hoping the parts don't have typos after you copy them, and waiting to (if ever) get to hear it... :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:09 pm 

Merv wrote:
Why are some folks so lazy?

What’s wrong with having to manually load instruments into your project? What’s wrong with creating a template that suits your particular and unique needs? What’s wrong with creating a ‘user preset’ for an instrument with all articulations and expressions clearly defined that are up to your personal and perhaps exacting standards? Once it’s done once, you’re set to go for all future projects that relate to your music creation standards.

Some folks act as if this lack of integration is a showstopper. .

I'm not lazy and it's not a showstopper. It's just a workflow thing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:31 pm 

Sorry.