Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Celesta Staff Issue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:09 pm 

If I choose Celesta as a staff's instrument (using ASO) it gives me a double staff, i.e. treble and bass with no space in between, but I only want the treble stave for the score I am working on. I can I can pull the staves apart and do a "Hide Empty Staff" to make the bass staff disappear, but only on a page-by-page basis, and sometimes the bar lines between the staves don't go away unless I show the staff again and hide it a second time (and sometimes they come back anyway, later). Does anyone know a way to create a treble-only Celesta staff so I don't have to go through this exercise (perhaps multiple times) on each page?

Post subject: Re: Celesta Staff Issue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:34 pm 

Greetings,
DrLeonard wrote:
If I choose Celesta as a staff's instrument (using ASO) it gives me a double staff, i.e. treble and bass with no space in between, but I only want the treble stave for the score I am working on. I can I can pull the staves apart and do a "Hide Empty Staff" to make the bass staff disappear, but only on a page-by-page basis, and sometimes the bar lines between the staves don't go away unless I show the staff again and hide it a second time (and sometimes they come back anyway, later). Does anyone know a way to create a treble-only Celesta staff so I don't have to go through this exercise (perhaps multiple times) on each page?

I am pretty certain that if you take the two-staff Celesta track and, with it selected, go to Inspector>Track>Settings:Staff Style and select Normal Staff, you will have a treble clef staff track with the Celesta properties still in place.

This is fully workable if working in a MIDI context, but I can't really be sure as to ASO.

Cheers,

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:00 pm 

Yes, in the OVEX file with the track style for the Celesta changed to Normal, the soundId value survives.

There other properties defined in the ASO sound map file for the instrument Celesta (there are no many), so I am fairly confident that this track would behave as it would with both staves present.

Cheers,

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:08 pm 

I do note that, although the references I find suggest that score for the celesta is normally written one octave below sounding pitch, there is no accommodation for that put into place by the Overture ASO sound map file.

Celesta players or scorists will of course be more qualified to opine on that.

Cheers,

Alan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:13 pm 

Thanks, Alan, that worked, except that I then had to go through the score (a symphonic movement of 256 bars) and unhide some treble staves that had been hidden, for some reason -- but no problem, the hanging bar lines are gone. The Celesta in ASO is sounding an octave above written, as far as I can tell (comparing the pitch to the Violin I part).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:10 pm 

Greetings,
DrLeonard wrote:
Thanks, Alan, that worked, except that I then had to go through the score (a symphonic movement of 256 bars) and unhide some treble staves that had been hidden, for some reason -- but no problem, the hanging bar lines are gone. The Celesta in ASO is sounding an octave above written, as far as I can tell (comparing the pitch to the Violin I part).

Ah. Well ASO itself must do that. Good enough. I guess the play pitch offset is only applied to output in actual MIDI form.

Cheers,

Alan