Overture 5.6.3.4 (Coming soon)

Discussion about Overture but not bugs.
olivnote

Re: Overture 5.6.3.4 (Coming soon)

Post by olivnote »

In this case,we must be informed . That's the lesser of it.
Oderfla

Post by Oderfla »

It is that anyone in your business or family environment could give us some news. This is becoming surreal. :(
Win10 (64 bt.) H.A. 9.9.4e. HQ / Pdf to Music Pro 1.7.3 / Overture 5.6.3-3
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

Hi everyone, the best I can tell you is that Don is most definitely alive and well, and I even hope to be able to visit with him soon.
Snorlax wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:16 pm Evidently, he has enough time to get rid of the hundreds of spam messages (or someone else is doing it...Dean?)
Hi Jim! Yep, whenever I can catch a moment I have been deleting spam by the...well... seems more like thousands at this point!
Fabrizio A. wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:02 am Another really strange thing is that none of the "staff" ever answer technical questions, but always willing users who are both beta testers of the program and both technical support.
If directed towards me, I just want to be clear that I'm not "staff." I too, am, and was, just a simple, loyal, and passionate Overture user turned Alpha/Beta tester and consulted during Overture 5's inception. Eventually, I was made an Admin to simply help out around here when I could. That's it! Otherwise, I am working 7 days a week, but when I can, I do try stop by to clean up the spammers, Russian bots, and possible flamers/trolls. If I happen to catch a bit more time and there is a post I can help with, I do my best, which I definitely realize is never quite good enough! I cannot speak to any other person or perceived "staff" member.
Fabrizio A. wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:02 am Unfortunately it's a fact that this software is left to itself.
I understand that is how it can feel at times, and left to ourselves, but ultimately it's left to Don.

I am using the same software as you all every day (although I do sometimes roll back to different builds). So again, just in case anyone may think otherwise... I ask that you kindly not separate me out "as staff" just because I'm an admin...or Snorlax as a Moderator for example. As you can hopefully see, we're all in this together. Like most of you, I want to keep using Overture for as long as I can and see it continue to improve.

Be well,
~Dean
Silent Knight

Post by Silent Knight »

Regarding Don.....He was living near my father-in-law near Charleston SC......personally, I would love to meet him for coffee sometime when we visit down there. I used to have some amazingly informative conversations with him in the early days of Overture 3 and 4, when he used to have the Telephone Support Line. I learned a lot about the program from those chats!!! The good old days!
Fabrizio A.

Post by Fabrizio A. »

Dean Krommydas wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:56 am If directed towards me, I just want to be clear that I'm not "staff." I too, am, and was, just a simple and passionate Overture user turned Alpha/Beta tester and consulted during Overture 5's inception. Eventually, I was made an Admin to simply help out around here when I could. That's it! Otherwise, I am working 7 days a week, but when I can, I do try stop by to clean up the spammers, Russian bots, and possible flamers/trolls. If I happen to catch a bit more time and there is a post I can help with, I do my best, which I definitely realize is never quite good enough! I cannot speak to any other person or perceived "staff" member.
No. It was absolutely not directed at you Dean, it's just that there are people here who are wondering what happened to the owner of this software and why every time you have to beg for information.
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

Silent Knight wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:57 am Regarding Don.....He was living near my father-in-law near Charleston SC......personally, I would love to meet him for coffee sometime when we visit down there. I used to have some amazingly informative conversations with him in the early days of Overture 3 and 4, when he used to have the Telephone Support Line. I learned a lot about the program from those chats!!! The good old days
Nice memories. I also remember calling in a few times back in the day.
Fabrizio A. wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:13 am No. It was absolutely not directed at you Dean, it's just that there are people here who are wondering what happened to the owner of this software and why every time you have to beg for information.
Alright then. So I think by now you and whoever's behalf you are speaking on, and plenty of others who speak for themselves... have all made yourselves abundantly clear on where you stand. On what you would like to see happen with Overture and hear from Sonic Scores. What you appreciate and what you don't.

My unsolicited advice...would be...to let it be. You can trust Don is aware and you can also trust Don would let us know when and if anything is going to happen with Overture. That goes for a new build, version 6, ANYTHING. The "when" is up to him.

Now on another point...although Sonic Scores is run with a more personal touch than many other companies....no matter what forum you may visit... no matter what the company, software-related or not...and no matter how justified someone may feel they are...usually spamming the same thing repeatedly, typically towards the negative, the company itself, the owner(s), and especially encouraging people to drop the use of their products for a competitor's...is no Bueno...and not going to end well. Obviously, they will wind up having their posts edited, deleted, and eventually be banned. What's also not good is that it can spread under different guises and even if the person genuinely had something of value to suggest or fix... which they may very well have had...it just winds up going unheard and becoming toxic. So not only do they potentially lose out...we all do.

My .02,

~Dean
Fabrizio A.

Post by Fabrizio A. »

I have never encouraged the use of other software so I don't know who you are referring to. In any case, enough, I stop here because I am only wasting time, I'm just sorry I didn't take a screenshot of what I wrote ... I understood that this is how things work here and at this point I will visit the forum only as a customer to check when the long awaited new update will be available. I know that obviously nobody will give a damn about my leaving the forum, but I still wanted to express my thoughts about it. Hello everybody.
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

Hi Fabrizio
Fabrizio A. wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:52 am In any case, enough, I stop here because I am only wasting time
I think that's right, and that it is enough. You've definitely expressed your points and frustrations quite clearly, so all I am trying to say is let it go now.

Of course, you're free to do whatever you choose, but so is Don. Like it or not, it's his company, software, and forum.

I have tried to point out the bigger picture in a few different ways only because I think it would be helpful to everyone. And I think Dr. Leonard also had it right...it just doesn't do any good going after Don. Right or wrong, justified or not, it is just making it worse for all of us. Although you are taking aim at Don...you are only shooting yourselves in the feet and everyone else's feet while you're at it...because despite what you might think, we're all in this thing together.
Oderfla

Post by Oderfla »

Oderfla wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:29 pm I am not a professional musician. I only use Overture to edit band scores for some friends. The program is great. I was already using SW for 15 years. Then I switched to Overture 4 years ago. The software has great potential, but yes, it is true that Mr. Williams has an unresponsive and unfriendly behavior towards his clientele.
As I am an amateur composer in choral music I use Harmony Assistant for my scores using the Virtual Singer which is a great addition.
I am not saying this to single out the program. (Which is good). I say it because the attention of its developers (Guillion brothers) in the forums and in the blog (daily) where they give the work report of what they have done in the day, is worthy of note. We users are informed daily! What a big difference compared to Sonic Scores. A pity. A great program, which I think, is in danger of its future development. It is that there is no explanation to an absence of communication for almost a year.... :(
In Spain it is said that: "he who stings himself eats garlic". I guess Dean is not referring to this post of mine, where I make the comparison of information and customer service in Myriad compared to Sonic Scores. In any case, I am not advertising any product against Sonic Scores products. I'm just saying to be disappointed by the absence of (minimal) information in this forum by the company management.
Win10 (64 bt.) H.A. 9.9.4e. HQ / Pdf to Music Pro 1.7.3 / Overture 5.6.3-3
Fabrizio A.

Post by Fabrizio A. »

Dear Dean, one final clarification. I have not antagonized anyone and have only expressed my thoughts directly without awe. Don't treat me like a stalker, other users have expressed the same opinion and disappointment as me. Although obvious I would like to make it clear that I have nothing personal against Don Williams, the criticisms were only aimed at how the product he sells is handled, but as I was clearly hinted at, this is his way of running his business. . Okay I take note. When the update is ready I will be happy to try it out.
Take care.
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

Fabrizio A. wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:27 am Dear Dean, one final clarification. I have not antagonized anyone and have only expressed my thoughts directly without awe. Don't treat me like a stalker, other users have expressed the same opinion and disappointment as me. Although obvious I would like to make it clear that I have nothing personal against Don Williams, the criticisms were only aimed at how the product he sells is handled, but as I was clearly hinted at, this is his way of running his business. . Okay I take note. When the update is ready I will be happy to try it out.
Take care.
That may not have been your intention, but sometimes other interpretations can be a result of taking the stances and using the tones we do, right or wrong. I am sorry if you feel I am treating you like a stalker, that is not my intention. What I have been saying is not solely addressed to you either. I am simply just trying to say... that it is enough now, and I wanted to try and point some things out that might benefit all of us in the long run.

Be well,
~Dean
Silent Knight

Post by Silent Knight »

Here are my thoughts: The old adage says...."When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." We can all do that.
There are users like myself who are elementary to intermediate when it comes to this Ove. 5 medium....often needing help or guidance. (with quirks in the software)
Other guys on here are EXPERTS at this and many have helped me get through some serious issues. We thank you for your expertise!
Help or rescue (Don) hasn't arrived yet, so we need to survive. Let's just make this Forum into a Technical Support site. Perhaps if everyone pools their experiences and the expert guys can suggest solutions, albeit temporary, we can stay afloat.
I'm just sayin'................
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Knight,

You say:

"Let's just make this Forum into a Technical Support site. Perhaps if everyone pools their experiences and the expert guys can suggest solutions, albeit temporary, we can stay afloat."

I think that has been happening, and continues to happen.

But I do see very much less of that activity these days than of yore.

Alan
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

TenorAlan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:19 pm
I think that has been happening, and continues to happen.

But I do see very much less of that activity these days than of yore.

Alan
I was going to say something similar.
Silent Knight wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:47 am Here are my thoughts: The old adage says...."When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." We can all do that.
Yes! Well said...and cheesy or not...if I could also add "You can catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar."
Silent Knight wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:47 am Let's just make this Forum into a Technical Support site. Perhaps if everyone pools their experiences and the expert guys can suggest solutions, albeit temporary, we can stay afloat.
That's really what one of the major purposes of the forum is supposed to be anyway, isn't it? And I still do see it as Alan mentioned.

There are a multitude of contributing factors as to why this forum is the way it is and why people participate or don't and how they participate or won't.

Personally, I have been helped a lot over the years by Don and the members of this community... and I continue to be... for which I am eternally grateful. That said, since Overture 2... I have also learned a lot on my own and I use this software in a variety of ways to support my life.

I don't dare think of myself as an expert, but I do wish I could help out more around here, and my apologies for that. I'll keep trying when I can and yes thanks to all those who continue to do so.

So in keeping with the spirit of trying to make lemonade...and exhausting the unsolicited advice...

I'd keep posting, asking what you don't know or need help with, improvements, fixes, etc., and try to keep it constructive and on point. Obviously, try not to get into diatribes. It's not going to help us here and nothing positive is gained from it. If your patience has run out and you feel you have to say something, keep it classy and respectable, if you can't... keep it to yourselves. If you can't wait or hold out anymore, what else can I say other than it would be sad to lose you, but not if it's at the expense of the others who are still hopeful and willing to hold out.

Otherwise yes...keep trying to make lemonade. There really isn't another choice.

It's been nice visiting with you all.

Cheers (I thought it looks like lemonade)....
Cheers!.png
Cheers!.png (35.78 KiB) Viewed 418 times
DrLeonard

Post by DrLeonard »

I second the last three posts.
Dr. R. C. Leonard
http://www.rcleonard.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hamilton, Illinois USA