Will Overture remain KING?

Discussion about Overture but not bugs.
Merv
Super User

Will Overture remain KING?

Post by Merv »

I’m wondering if Overture is going to take second place to Encore. Which of the two programs is going to be considered the ‘premium’ and ‘full featured’ one? Surely, they can’t be equal in strength and features can they?

Just like Score Writer is a subset of Overture, will Encore be the little brother or big brother of Overture? They both come from the same company so there must be some sort of hierarchal structure that will become apparent in the feature set and price point.

What’s the pricing plan for upgrades, cross-grades? I’m wondering if any of these things have been figured out yet.
crossbow

Re: Will Overture remain KING?

Post by crossbow »

My guess is the next version of Encore will actually be the Overture code base with excellent features to import existing Encore files. Makes no sense to try and maintain 2 code bases with such a small team. Maybe then we can get finally the bug fixes that are on Don's shelf and we have been waiting for the past couple of years! We will just have to wait and see though!
Cheers,
David
OV5 GPO ASO Win10 AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics +16GB
http://www.davidalabaster.com
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

I'm sure Don will fill us in eventually...so I wouldn't presume to know the answers either... but taking some guesses with you...
crossbow wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:42 amMakes no sense to try and maintain 2 code bases

I agree and to also maintain two programs that do the same things...
Merv wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:25 pm Which of the two programs is going to be considered the ‘premium’ and ‘full featured’ one?
My guess is Overture. Kind of like how we have Score Writer 5 here...so I think they serve (will serve) different purposes/functions and that there are some clues to this on the Passportmusic site.
Merv wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:25 pm will Encore be the little brother or big brother of Overture?
I just don't see Overture being a little brother to "anyone" of Don's products. I'm not really familiar with Encore, but when you think about it... Overture is quite powerful, having pretty much everything rolled into one. I might think otherwise if the development wasn't continuing on Overture. Again, I think there are some clues to this on the ABOUT US on Passport's site.
Merv wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:25 pm What’s the pricing plan for upgrades, cross-grades?
No clue, but knowing Don, it will likely be more than fair, incentivized, and well thought out.

My .02
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

It actually surprises me to hear mention of Encore in any context. Hasn't development of the program been halted for over a decade? Overture, on the other hand, was at least updated a year or two ago. But, you're right, we'll see what the developer has in mind, hopefully not before too long.
Thurisaz
Super User

Post by Thurisaz »

Well, for the market would be great to have more DAW-like notation apps.
Surely some competition will lead to many improvements of the programs in this class.
Of course the virtual instrument creators will have in mind this relatively small, in range, group of software when they create their instruments.
So, I hope that Encore and Overture will become very stable and continue to compete with other competitors in the market.
HP Z820 Workstation, Windows 10 21H2, RME Fireface UFX, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 controller.
Cubase Pro 12.0, Pro Tools 12, Studio One 5.5, Overture 5.6.1-2, Dorico Pro 4.2.0, MuseScore 3.6.2
dermod

Post by dermod »

Odd that you can find out more about what is going on through a Google search than on the OV this forum.