Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Goodbye
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:35 am 

Hi,

For the first time I’ll share a short composition I’ve made. It’s for strings only. Libraries I used is Cinematic studiostrings and Spitfire Symphonic lib. The composition’s name is Afscheid (Goodbye)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9tip2kzbr8tfqa/Afscheid.mp3?dl=0

I never make use of box.com so I hope the link works :oops:

Kind regards,

Frieda

Post subject: Re: Goodbye
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:24 am 
Super User

Not working without registration.

Raymond

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:46 am 
Super User

Very nice Frieda!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:57 pm 
Super User

Bravo, Frieda! :-) Very good first piece here!
Just I suggest you to be careful with the development of the themes, counterpoint and enlarging/reducing of the instruments
within the orchestra.
About the themes:
There could be two good solutions:
1. To create melodic theme which can be easily followed by the listener.
When there is a counterpoint - very common technique is to make a canon to represent the main theme again.

2. Leit Motif you can have many theme which cannot be memorized, but in some part of the piece
you can develop nice easy to follow melody, even as variation of the previous themes...
/Hector Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique, most of the Richard Wagner's works, film music... etc./
Even in a chaos you can include some theme / Bernard Hermann - Vertigo/

These are some of my thoughts after listening to your piece. I hope they can be somehow helpful! :-)
I suppose you would like to get some constructive feedback from the community?!

Well, the music is mostly an art, then a theory... And many decision are matter of personal taste.
For example, I like melodies and harmony which has defined melody. To me the atonal music sounds like chaos.

Wish you success with the composition, and we are waiting for new pieces! :-)

Greetings :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:01 pm 

The quality of your music is way above my pay grade.

I really enjoyed the harmonies and textures . Given a longer piece (which I’m sure this is just a small snippet of) I’m thinking you will be developing a subtle melody that comes and goes sooner or later. I love the deep basses in the middle and at the very end, and your use of the full range of the string orchestra.

Actually, the more I listen to it the more I get out of it. I sure hope there’s more to this lovely sample; you’re doing yourself a disservice if there’s not.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:00 am 

Hi,

Thank you all for your reactions and advices. I really appreciate it.

I was just practicing with the use of CC1 and CC11 and this little composition was the result of it. I am purely assiociative when I write music and somehow I find it hard to go out from a structure like ABACA(or something liket that) or from a defined melody. I am only trying to build up a certain atmosphere. The disadvantage is that most of my pieces are short.
Sometimes I listen to the pieces again that I've made in the past. Most of them cannot pass the test of criticism but sometimes I take an old piece and trying to write it further.

Then there is a difficulty with mixing. I can only ues headphones because of certain circumstances. So I donot know how it sounds on speakerboxes.

So I got a lot to learn and hoping to get better.

Raymond, I think you donot have to register with dropbox you can close the window where you have to login and then hopefully you can listen to this little piece Afscheid.

Once again, thank you so much for your reactions. It means a lot to me.

Kind regards,

Frieda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:21 am 
Super User

You know, this is not a freestanding piece, it is part of some greater symphonic poem, as some sort of development.
Once said that, your choice of instruments is quite insteresting and "fits" my ears.

You wrote that you cannot switch from one melody/idea/motif to another, or at least not easily.
One remedy: listen to pianosonates of Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven. They all have a basic structure of the old sonata form.
Look what they did. Beethoven often starts with a very simple melody/motif and takes the notes to some other level, other tonica, other rhythm.

A very good technique is the crab method. Write down five notes (short melody) and then play them exactly backwards. Interchanghe that with the left and right hand. And modulate. Listen to Schubert, he modulates all the time.

Another is mirroring: look at the shape of the figure the note represent and change it mirroring the ledger lines.
Attachment:
Mirroring.JPG
Mirroring.JPG [ 24.04 KiB | Viewed 18 times ]

Warning. These are just simple examples. Play with that thought. Often you will see both back in pieces of Bach and others.

And then, nothing happens when you suddenly switch from one thought to another. It makes the piece interesting.
Use YouTube channels to learn more techniques.

Check this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ib2EKHofc

He has more vids worth looking at.

Greetings
Raymond

Raymond