Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:18 pm 
Super User

Don,
Here are few ideas for improvement of the Context Menu when we perform Right mouse click over Staff.

1. Measure > Insert Before Current Measure / Insert Before Current Measure can be simply replaced by the Insert Measure
which already exists in the top menu bar - Measures. Then we can directly specify how many measures we would like to insert and where.
This will make the workflow better and will save some space in the Context

2. Adding of Increase Measures on System and Decrease Measures on System into the Context Menu. These two option are
also needed to be there while we are on the score, without moving up to the Menu Bar.

3. Adding of Enable and Disable Playback, Beam, Stem and Notate As, which are now available only in Edit and Notes at top Menu Bar, into the Context Menu related to the inserted and selected notes. This will improve the workflow much more.

4. I have already mentioned about "Paste Special" in this post: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=20246#p62243

I have even better idea: Would be really great if we are able to customize the Context Menus, what to include or exclude on our personal preferences. But probably
this will need hard work...

All the mentioned features need to be there, prepared to be used on fly.

Thank you in advance! :-)

Greetings :-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:01 am 

Item #1 and #3 are great ideas. A customizable context menu is also a great idea.

Item #3 would be a really nice addition to a right click context menu – at least for me. When I want to disable playback on the bass or treble stave of a grand staff (which I do often when scoring for piano) I have assigned key bindings to CTRL-SHIFT D (disable highlighted notes) and CTRL-SHIFT E (enable highlighted notes) but this requires a move from the mouse to the keyboard. The alternative is to go to the edit menu and mouse down to the disable/enable command over and over again which becomes annoying after awhile. The best option as suggested by Thurisaz would be right click (bring up the menu) then left click (disable playback). Easy peasy!

BTW, can disabled playback notes be greyed out in any of the latest versions of Overture? (There’s lots of colours in the palette)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 am 
Super User

Excellent ideas Thurisaz ... all FIVE.

Up with contexutal menus! It's one of the best things for convenience and discoverability.

John