Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:35 am 

J,

Nice analysis. Comments embedded.

JYam wrote:
For me, I was able to get something similar working by doing z8z8. Or just z8 worked. What "z" is supposed to be doing is not documented. I didn't see it in the docs or in my "Edit Key Commands". I do see there's a "z" command documented in the docs and in the key commands - which is to toggle the zoom tool. But this isn't what pressing "z" does after entering a note through the keyboard. What it does is toggles the "Selection Tool" (arrow icon) on/off which ends up switching between the "Insert Tool" (pencil icon) - which is the default mode after entering a note - and "Selection Tool".

Actually, in this situation it does enact the zoom tool (look at the cursor). But that is on the same button as the selection tool, so it is that button that lights up! And that seemingly puts things in the situation needed for a numeric key to change the time value of the selected note.

Quote:
Note that the "Selection Tool" tooltip fully labels this icon as "Selection Tool (C)". So the "Selection Tool" normally has a shortcut of "C" . . .

Aha! In my installation, 'A' is the shortcut for the selection tool (and the tooltip shows "A") But I see by the User Manual that "C" is the factory default and I must have changed it for some reason. Ah! I did that so it would be the same keystroke as in Encore!

Merv: That is why I didn't understand your ploy for dealing with the matter of changing the time value of a freshly-entered note.

Best regards,

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:05 pm 

So I see how, in mouse entry, the key sequence 'CnC' (where n is the numeric key for the desired time value) works. 'C' switches to the select mode, the note is already selected but that selectedness is made "general" by the activation of the select mode; 'n' changes the time value; and the final 'C' undoes the select mode, and the "pencil" mode comes back into play.

And in step entry, where the 'C' key has its own musical job, it turns out that invoking the zoom tool (with 'Z') also makes possible the changing of a note's time value with a numeric key, essentially as I described just above.

Very tidy, in an untidy way!

Best regards,

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:04 pm 
Super Man

Merv,
Once again you have noticed a way to use OV in an efficient way that I missed.
Now we just need the long-awaited "next release", so that these insights are worth exploring....
Thanks again,
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:39 pm 
Super User

You gentlemen are able to explain the in’s and out’s of the ‘cnc’ and ‘cncn’ procedure better than I ever could. I would be interested to know what Don finally decides to do regarding this matter, and if it will be in the next update.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:44 pm 

That's correct about the zoom tool - even when in step entry. So there's no funny business about changing a "c" to a "z" like the conspiracy I theorized. I did notice the magnifying glass cursor when I was pressing "z" in non-step mode before when I was learning the system. But my earlier pressing "z" was after just hunting and pecking - random characters - until something worked. And in this sort of "mode" (as if I have different modes - maybe mood) - I missed or wasn't paying attention to what the cursor icon was doing. But I do see now that indeed no matter what step entry is set to - "z" always does zoom. And so, for me, is perhaps a more generic way of doing the "cnc" trick as was last coined. n=some number representing the note duration value. More generic because it works when in step mode or not.

All I have to add to this is that when using the QWERTY keyboard (and I keep saying QWERTY not to confuse a MIDI/musical keyboard as some will use - I imagine it may work exactly the same but I don't have direct use of this) - that one consequence of this sequence is that the cursor ends up not where it started. After entering a note, the "where you're at" (where the next note insertion will occur) cursor will be placed AFTER the note you just entered. After doing the "cnc" (or "znz") trick, your "where you're at" cursor will be located on top of the note you just changed the value of. So to complete the cycle, one would need to press Alt-RightCursor in order to put the "where you're at" cursor back where it was before this "cnc" operation.

So, all in all, it's not an inexpensive proxy for the requested feature.

zNz Alt-Right is probably the least amount of keystrokes you can apply. This would change your note duration value of the previously entered note but leaves the next note duration the same as the original (before change) length of the note you just changed. "I entered a quarter note, but oops - wanted an 8th note. Press zNz. The next note later entered will be a quarter note"
zNzN Alt-Right adds the extra N (N=1,2,4,6,8, etc for note duration) in order to ensure subsequent notes use the new/corrected duration value. "I entered a quarter note, but oops - wanted an 8th note. Press zNzN. The next note later entered will be an 8th note"
... and then there's the extra sauce you can apply after the 1st "N" before the 2nd "z". You can add dots and other note modifiers if you wish. Just don't press "3" (for triplets) - because "3" has the unfortunate property of (sometimes) being a one-way door that deselects your selected note. And this happens to be one of those times.

And certainly if you're not in step mode - then you can use "cNc" (c's for z's) instead. Or you can change up the keystroke to something that's not "eaten up" by step entry and roll your own keystroke and use that in all modes.

Going back to the original request - pressing the up/down cursors will change the pitch and not change the "where it's at" cursor (like "cnc" does). So anything that would change the duration of the last entered note in-place should also not change the "where it's at" cursor similar to the pitch adjustment (cursor up/down).