Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Please be specific when reporting bugs and be able to reproduce them.
If you don't, the post will most likely be ignored or deleted.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:56 pm 

Often, if I have several notes selected and try and drag the group vertically, the notes "run away" to extreme positions.

My latest testing was done with Overture version 5.6.0-0 running under Windows 7 Pro.

Attached file Runaway_notes-2001.ovex is a good place to start. I selected all four notes with a selection marquee. Then, sometimes, if I grab one of the notes and drag it vertically, all the notes jump to bizarre positions, such as we see on attached file Runaway_notes-2002.ovex.

The phenomenon is not consistent. Sometimes, if I have had the phenomenon, and then use Undo to put the notes back to their intial locations, and try to duplicate the phenomenon, it might not happen if I drag the same note as before, but may happen if I grab another note.

In the attached file with the notes in bizarre positions, the pitch of the notes that went down is C-1, and of the note that went up, C9 (middle C=C4 basis).

Bell

Attachments:
Runaway_notes-2002.ovex [6.27 KiB]
Downloaded 120 times
Runaway_notes-2001.ovex [6.27 KiB]
Downloaded 133 times

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:56 pm 
Super Man

AGBell wrote:
Often, if I have several notes selected and try and drag the group vertically, the notes "run away" to extreme positions.

Similarly, here on the Mac, in Overture 5.6.1-1, I have to be SUPER careful when pitch dragging multiple notes. ANY incidental change in the mouse x value can impact the dragged note's pitch in wild runaway fashion. It appears that + or - x is added to the y value. I reported this previously but I was told to check my mouse; subsequently the post promptly evaporated.

Today I noticed a similar behavior when dragging "raw" notes laterally on the treble clef. The runaway pitch occurs if I laterally drag the head, tail or center of the raw note. Even when fully zoomed in, no attempt at limiting inadvertent y
movement produces the desired result. Any lateral drag seems to cause rapid pitch change of the raw notes.

No such problem when dragging heads, tails or centers in Data View.

scorster

Last edited by scorster on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

I am pretty sure this has been fixed in the next release (5.6.2.0).
I tested it 20-30 times and could not duplicate the bug.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:58 pm 
Super Man

Don wrote:
I am pretty sure this has been fixed in the next release (5.6.2.0).
I tested it 20-30 times and could not duplicate the bug.

Sorry to say: This bug is very alive in Overture 5.6.2-3, Mac OS

• New score
    • Enter two notes
    • Select them
    • Click on one of the selected notes and drag upward or downward

RESULT: I can't get the notes to move in a reasonable fashion, like the behavior of individual notes.

As previously stated—after a selection of multiple notes start moving vertically—any inadvertent x movement make the vertical location of the note run out of control.

scorster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:06 pm 
Super Man

Just checked to see if chords also exhibit the same runaway behavior on pitch-drag.

The answer is yes, but slightly more erratically, and with some odd upper limit.

• New score
    • Enter a two note chord
    • Select them
    • Click on one of the selected notes and drag upward or downward

RESULT: I can't get the notes to move in a reasonable fashion, like the behavior of individual notes.

As previously stated—after a selection of multiple notes start moving vertically—any inadvertent x movement make the vertical location of the note run out of control.

scorster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:52 am 
Super User

This happens on a Win10 system also. This behavior is intermittent, sporadic and very difficult to replicate accurately therefore I have not included this in any bug report. Most times these ‘runaway’ notes refuse to happen, but on odd occasions they ‘explode in your face’ without explanation. Thankfully, corrections are easy.

This inconsistency is not a showstopper, but only a mild annoyance.

Scorster, could it be that this behaviour is more pronounced on a Mac OS.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:55 am 
Site Admin

Check the version you are using.
I have tried this on both PC and Mac with no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:45 am 
Super Man

How about not dragging...but using up or down arrows? That should work accurately... for now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:16 pm 
Super Man

PeteFine wrote:
How about not dragging...but using up or down arrows? That should work accurately... for now.

Thanks. I know the workarounds. Was just trying to point out an issue that constantly reminds me that I need to use a workaround.

Don wrote:
Check the version you are using.
I have tried this on both PC and Mac with no problems.

As stated, currently I see this in Overture 5.6.2-3 (Mac OS 10.13) and also posted about it in 5.6.1-1

Merv sees the bug on Windows 10 but didn’t mention his version of Overture.

Merv wrote:
This happens on a Win10 system also. Most times these ‘runaway’ notes refuse to happen, but on odd occasions they ‘explode in your face’ without explanation. Thankfully, corrections are easy.

Scorster, could it be that this behavior is more pronounced on a Mac OS.

Hey Merv, I don’t use Windows so I have no direct way of comparing the note-drag-bug behavior or it’s propensity on Window vs. Mac OS.

However, today I’m teaching a Skype lesson with a violin student who I also coach on Overture for his compositions and transcriptions. He’s on Mac OS Catalina, so I’ll ask him if he see’s it there.

scorster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:32 pm 
Super Man

scorster wrote:
I’m teaching a Skype lesson with a violin student who I also coach on Overture for his compositions and transcriptions. He’s on Mac OS Catalina, so I’ll ask him if he see’s it there.

scorster

I took time today to test the runaway pitch drag with my student who is on Mac Catalina using the latest version of Overture (5.6.2-3). The testing occured remotely via Skype screensharing.

• He entered four notes of a scale
• selected them
• and reacted with shock when he tried to drag the selection vertically.

He also confirmed that matters are exacerbated when he increases his x excursions after initiating the pitch drag. The behavior is entirely consistent with what I encounter here on my Mac. And he encountered the runaway whether he dragged with the mouse or his trackpad, as do I.

Sounds like this is a now platform issue: fixed on Windows, still present on the Mac.

scorster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:41 pm 
Super Man

Merv wrote:
This happens on a Win10 system also. This behavior is intermittent, sporadic and very difficult to replicate accurately therefore I have not included this in any bug report. Most times these ‘runaway’ notes refuse to happen, but on odd occasions they ‘explode in your face’ without explanation. Thankfully, corrections are easy.

This inconsistency is not a showstopper, but only a mild annoyance.

Thanks for your observations and comments Merv.

Merv wrote:
... could it be that this behaviour is more pronounced on a Mac OS.

Indeed. Here on the Mac the runaway behavior is essentially ever present when I drag groups of notes vertically.

Glad to hear that you seldom encounter runaway drags under Windows. Let us know if you find a trigger or steps to replicate. On the Mac any horizontal jitter while vertically dragging triggers or exacerbates the issue.

scorster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:50 pm 
Super Man

Today I was in Data View>Staff view or Piano Roll. I noticed that I can vertically drag groups of selected without triggering the runaway behavior.

So I left the same notes selected, switched Edit MIDI data view, and tried the same maneuver. That again provoked the runaway.