Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: [Resolved]Ukulele tuning
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:42 am 
Super User

Inspector>Track>Tuning erroneously shows ukulele (soprano, concert and tenor, I assume) tuned as

G5  C5  E5  G5

The following tuning fixes the octaves (relative to Middle C = C4) and also corrects the pitch class of the first string to A:

G4  C4  E4  A4

NOTE: There is a G-C-E-G tuning, but that is the lovely C Slack Key tuning. If Overture intends to show C Slack Key tuning and omit the standard uke tuning nothing needs to change, except the octaves.

Post subject: Re: Ukulele tuning
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Fixed and is in the next update.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:20 pm 
Super User

Don wrote:
Fixed and is in the next update.

Thanks Don!

While you're doctoring the Ukulele tuning, please adjust the Mandolin tuning down one octave.

Please note that the Bass tuning is also an octave too high. The lowest string on bass guitar or bass violin (the 4th string) resonates at 41.204Hz, which is E1 when Middle C = C4.

Haven't bothered to check all the other tunings ... because most don't matter to me.

And you know my opinion on the Guitar tunings—Overture's guitar tuning table pitches are an octave too high. Same goes for banjo tunings.

When Middle C = C4 the Guitar's 6th string is simply E2. Period.

I say this knowing that (by convention, and due to a rampant and apparent aversion to appending an 8 to the bottom of the treble clef) guitar is written on a normal treble clef, one octave higher than it sounds. I have NO problem with that, in print. But in a MIDI/audio environment where these pitches are meaningful and impactful in numerous and often untold ways, I strongly hold that the the tuning pitch list is not the proper the place to account for the convention's octave difference. Why kludge the tuning when there are surely plenty of places in the chain to make "the transposition". for instance development could add a option in the tuning area where the user can choose: "Adjust tablature octave by: which choices like -2 -1 0 +1 +2. This would leave the tuning list unaltered, but generate the proper tablature without "out of range" alerts.

I understand that implementing these changes may ruffle feathers of those already entrenched in the various tuning errors, but reality is always a good thing.

Lastly, the Guitar with Tab template could serve a 8va Treble Clef in place of the normal treble clef, and Overture could hide the little octave 8 if users find it offensive.

Last edited by scorster on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:47 pm 
Super User

scorster wrote:
Inspector>Track>Tuning erroneously shows ukulele (soprano, concert and tenor, I assume) tuned as

G5 C5 E5 G5

The following tuning fixes the octaves (relative to Middle C = C4) and also corrects the pitch class of the first string to A:

G4 C4 E4 A4

The intervals for standard uke should be: Perfect 4th, Major 3rd, Perfect 4th:

G4 C4 E4 A4 <-- the sting tuning list stated here uses tuning nomenclature, where the first string positioned rightmost in the list. It is for reentrant or "High G" standard tuning.

If you want to include a non-reentrant tuning "Low G" tuning for ukulele (for soprano, concert and tenor, in one fell swoop) it is G3 C4 E4 A4

Months back when development updated the tuning, but mistakenly reversed the outer strings leaving this errant tuning in force: A4 C4 E4 G4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:29 am 
Super User

scorster wrote:
Please note that the Bass tuning is also an octave too high. The lowest string on bass guitar or bass violin (the 4th string) resonates at 41.204Hz, which is E1 when Middle C = C4.

Well I just remembered that bass guitar and double bass are transposing instruments. In other words, on the bass clef, the notes for bass guitar are written an octave higher than they sound. (To write bass notes at pitch one must notate them on an 8va Bassa Clef.)

So again, as with guitar, we see that Overture combines a conventional but incorrect clef with a tweaked "octave plus one" tablature tuning table and "reconciles" them by adding a -12 transposition to Inspector>Track>Settings>Transposition—and that's why I saw the tuning table octaves as off , but of course they work in this scheme. (And it's worth mentioning that Notes to Tablature will report an "out of range" error—to anyone writing on a regular bass as if on 8va Bassa—who has entered the true octaves of bass strings into a bass tablature stave's tuning table.)

Once fooled, that's on you. Twice fooled, shame on me!

It seems that development's goal is simply to allow the use of a conventional bass clef in place of a 8va Bassa Clef. If so I can certainly of ways to plumb it that would surely prove more coherent and less complicated to users. I've offered ideas previously. And I believe the following would be simplest approach:

• Create a Bassa Clef (Hidden 8va) clef and put add it to the Clef palette.

• Same for guitar: Add a Modern Tenor Clef (Hidden 8va) to the Clef palette.

Doing so would amount to an act of kindness toward users ... because then everything works, without any further shenanigans.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:27 am 
Site Admin

The guitar stuff is correct and I don't want to hear any more about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:36 am 
Super User

scorster wrote:

G5 C5 E5 G5

G4 C4 E4 A4

scorster wrote:
The intervals for standard uke should be: Perfect 4th, Major 3rd, Perfect 4th:

G4 C4 E4 A4 <-- the sting tuning list stated here uses tuning nomenclature, where the first string positioned rightmost in the list. It is for reentrant or "High G" standard tuning.

If you want to include a non-reentrant tuning "Low G" tuning for ukulele (for soprano, concert and tenor, in one fell swoop) it is G3 C4 E4 A4

Months back when development updated the tuning, but mistakenly reversed the outer strings leaving this errant tuning in force: A4 C4 E4 G4

Ukulele players worldwide will celebrate when Overture gets the ukulele tuning right.

The following list shows how an Overture tuning table should look for a standard ukulele (High G reentrant) tuning:

A4
    E4
    C4
    G4

I came on the scene Overture 5.1 when the default ukulele tuning table was equivalent to a useful “slack key” uke tuning, and there was no option for standard High G reentrant, or standard Low G tuning. (Incorrect value shown in red.)

The tuning in Overture 5.1 was

G4
    E4
    C4
    G4

In version 5.4.0-1, the default tuning table for ukulele was (incorrect values shown in red):

G4
    E4
    C4
    A4

In version 5.4.1-0, the default tuning table for ukulele is (incorrect values shown in red)

G4
    C4
    E4
    A4

The above is equivalent to the popular Amish ukulele tuning: fleas has dog my ... as heard on the famous album “Throw Your Father Down the Stairs His Hat.” Or as Yoda might wisely state, "Pitches of ukulele strings these are not."

Requests:

• Hopefully development will add an Ukulele—Low G tuning as well. It's quite common on tenor uke.
    The difference is highlighted in green.

A4
      E4
      C4
      G3

• Nice to have tuning table in a XML file, where users can correct tunings and/or add various tunings. For a number of substantial reasons, adding tunings would be much preferable to saving templates for them.

Last edited by scorster on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:23 am 
Site Admin

Install the 5.4.1 release and this has been fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:32 am 
Super User

Don wrote:
There was a release yesterday 5.4.1.

I'm guessing you're referring to 5.4.1-0.

I installed 5.4.1-0. Five minutes later I reported on the ukulele tuning errors therein.

Last edited by scorster on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Always make sure you have the latest release to see what has been fixed before positing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:59 am 
Super User

Don wrote:

I installed 5.4.1-1 and tested immediately. The problem remains.

Don wrote:
Always make sure you have the latest release to see what has been fixed before positing.

I've done precisely that.

The ukulele tuning in 5.4.1-1 (with incorrect values shown in red, as reported yesterday) is:

G4
      C4
      E4
      A4

I've provided the correct tuning multiple times. Development changes the tuning occasionally, but it's never right.

I don't know what more I can say ...

Last edited by scorster on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:14 pm 
Super User

In Overture 5.4.1-3 the standard Ukulele tuning is now perfect. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:13 am 
Super User

Please see attached score for a list of six essential ukulele tunings.

I hope Sonic Score will include all these in the Tuning>Instrument list. Note that attachment directly below should have a revision date of 2019-04-22:

Attachment:

I can't get anywhere with custom tunings.

The Low G version of GCEA is very very commonly used, as it baritone ukulele.

Attachments:
Six Essential Ukuele tunings -- Treble Clef TS.ovex [8.83 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time

Last edited by scorster on Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:21 am 
Super User

In Overture 5.5.6-4 the Ukulele G tuning is probably an error

Please see the attached score:

Attachment:
Uke G Tuning error - Overture 556-4.ovex [8.98 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time