Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 pm 
Super User

• Enter two notes in a new score
• Select them and chose Notate As>Cue notes

Result: As one might expect, the cue notes are silent in playback.

Is there an option to cause them to play ... specifically on a particular track or in a particular measure? The would be very helpful in transcribing or editing.

BTW, as far as I can tell, QuickHelp doesn't mention that they are excluded from playback.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:56 pm 

‘Lasso’ your cue notes then select Edit>Enable Playback. Unfortunately, reversing the process to once again disable playback grey’s out your cue notes if you have Options>Show>Symbols in color set as a preference - and I like to have that preference always enabled.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:14 pm 
Super User

Thanks Merv. Makes my current project easier to complete!

Merv wrote:
‘Lasso’ your cue notes then select Edit>Enable Playback. Unfortunately, reversing the process to once again disable playback grey’s out your cue notes if you have Options>Show>Symbols in color set as a preference - and I like to have that preference always enabled.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:11 pm 
Super User

Yes, that is very helpful when preparing parts...thanks!
A followup question.... how do you make OV paste as cue in the correct transposition? In other words, if I copy a Bb Clarinet phrase for a cue for violins...Right now, I have been pasting then lowering the pitch a whole step... I seem to recall this being available but don't see the function anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:15 am 

The copy then ‘paste as cue’ process works properly for me on my Win10 system using Ove 5.5.4-4. Transposition is correct from my point of view. Maybe there’s some kind of coding screw-up between Win & Mac, or between the various versions of Overture in regard to you having to lower the pitch of pasted cue notes.

I’m pretty sure most scoring/notation textbooks describe cue note usage primarily as a way to know exactly where you are so that you can jump in at precisely the right moment relative to other instruments. I like the way it is currently done by Overture because the player that is referencing the cue notes has the option to jump in/fill in/substitute for/thicken the texture at the conductor or leader’s discretion – and do it at the right pitch for his/her instrument without having to transpose. Many otherwise good players cannot accurately transpose on the fly at tempo. I had to learn the skill out of necessity being a Bb Trumpet player. I couldn’t afford nor was I inclined to buy another trumpet that was pitched in C (good trumpets are expensive). I would play with my piano playing practice partner and would have to read off his chart quite often. It is far, far easier for me to transpose on the fly than for him. My point is, players of transposing instruments often have to learn the skill by necessity (Bb Clarinet to Flute or Bb Trumpet to C Trumpet, etc.).

During impromptu gigs I find that players of non-transposing instruments expect me on occasion to be able to read and play incorrectly pitched (for my Bb instrument) score parts – a valuable service which I am only too happy to provide.

To summarize: Overture does it correctly without needing to re-pitch everything and the current behavior serves my needs well…but maybe not yours.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:37 pm 
Super User

I doubt it is a Windows problem...there must be a transpose menu that I am missing. The instruments are written correctly and sound transposed correctly in the score. It is only when I use them for a cue that they paste in their original key, not the proper key for the player reading them as a cue.

I will search further....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:39 pm 
Super User

Lassoing cue notes and enabling playback does work but I think it would be much better to have a global option so that all cue notes sound or don't sound. Why would anyone just want some cues to sound and not others? When proof reading parts, this would be very nice to have this option.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:30 pm 

Agreed.