Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:30 am 
Super User

Overture 5.6.0-1c

When performing mouse-based chord entry—via Tools Panel>Chords>Insert Tool (aka the "chord" Pencil)—after clicking a note to set the initial insertion, I can press the Tab key to advance to the first note of the next bar. But this seems to be the ONLY way to advance input ... and the ONLY way to convince Overture to accept a chord entry.

First, is there a keystroke for moving chord entry:

• to the next note?
    • to next beat?
    • to the next bar?
    • to the next half bar?

Thought there used to some other advancing keystrokes! But, in turning to QuickHelp, it seems that the documentation doesn't even mention advancing with the Tab key.

Second,
I thought clicking with the Pencil tool would be a handy workaround. Enter a chord, click the new. after entering a chord. Unfortunately, as with lyric entry, the user MUST use a keystroke or the addition is discarded.

Third, dare I say—without providing steps to replicate—I also find that Overture sometimes fails to deposit the chord directly above the expected note, nor above any note. And when it gets into this state the positioning tends to get worse and worse with subsequent entries. (Just sayin', in case Sonic Scores has heard this before. It's a real thing.)

Thanks, scorster

Last edited by scorster on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:56 am 

Why do you use the ‘TAB’ key? Is this a Mac thing? Just grab the chord you want with your mouse and drag it onto your score sheet in the location you want. In this regard, your third point is well taken. Having to reposition my chords when using guitar frames is an annoyance, but not a showstopper.

Don’s implementation of this feature works very well for me, but maybe our methods of input vary. I use chords often in the country/bluegrass music I arrange for our local country folk and I have no issues with chord entry.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:33 am 
Super User

Merv wrote:
Why do you use the ‘TAB’ key?

Hi Merv,

Good question. I'm not sure why I use the Tab key to advance Chord entry. Perhaps because—like using the space key for advancing lyric entry—Tab works to advance chord entry from note-to-note ... and incidentally, in Lyric entry, Tab seems to function like pressing Space. When I discovered that the Space key doesn't advance the Chord entry point I must have guess that the Tab key would.

Anyway, Tab advance works great ... but sadly, only for getting to the start of the next bar. The original post request keystrokes for finer input placrement granularity,

Merv wrote:
Is this a Mac thing?

I shudder to think. Are you saying Tab doesn't advance chord input on Overture Windows?

Merv wrote:
Just grab the chord you want with your mouse and drag it onto your score sheet in the location you want.

Hmmm. I don't think I'd survive fiddling in the Chords>Chord Tab and dragging the chord to place.

Merv wrote:
... your third point is well taken. Having to reposition my chords when using guitar frames is an annoyance, but not a showstopper.
Don’s implementation of this feature works very well for me, but maybe our methods of input vary. I use chords often in the country/bluegrass music I arrange for our local country folk and I have no issues with chord entry.

Chord input is satisfyingly fast with Tab advance IF I only need chords at the start of each bar. But I often need chords at the measure's midpoint, or at a particular note.

Finer advance granularity would do the trick! And nice if it was similar to Lyric entry.

I'll describe my workflow when I have time later.

Thanks for you comments!

scorster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

RTFM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 am 

Yes, indeed – the manual is ‘friendly’. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Not as friendly as it should be, but it is where one should look before asking.