Adjusting Staccato Playback

This is where you ask specific questions on how to use Overture.
DrLeonard

Adjusting Staccato Playback

Post by DrLeonard »

The "normal" playback for staccato markings for most instruments seems to create too heavy an attack. I have been attempting to adjust the settings for this marking so that I get just a briefer note (e.g., having a staccato 8th sound like a 16th), without the extra"punch." I have had some success using "Velocity with" a low number (e.g. 5) with the "Add to Velocity" button checked, and then "Change all in track" for specific instruments. But I really don't know how this works. (Also, "Duration to [percent] of note value" doesn't seem to have any effect. Can anyone provide a short tutorial on how to adjust how the staccato plays back?
Dr. R. C. Leonard
http://www.rcleonard.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hamilton, Illinois USA
Merv
Super User

Re: Adjusting Staccato Playback

Post by Merv »

It would be helpful to know what library you’re using, and what instrument(s) are causing you grief. Every library has its idiosyncrasies and ways to adjust articulations. While Overture’s ‘tools’ can help immensely, in many cases knowing the library being used can help to pinpoint a more precise answer to your question.
DrLeonard

Post by DrLeonard »

I am using Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra. Instruments in middle range seem to be most affected by the hard staccato attack (clarinet, trumpet, violin, etc.) while instruments at the upper and lower ranges (e.g. flute,bassoon) seem to take staccato markings better.
Dr. R. C. Leonard
http://www.rcleonard.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hamilton, Illinois USA
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

You are on the right track. The Velocity parameter does indeed allow you to increase or decrease the volume of the attack on the staccato dot, as well as on the accent dot. It seems OV defaults to velocity 10 on the staccato and 30 on the accented staccato. This seems to work Ok. You can change those parameters and apply them to the entire score, to eliminate the volume bump if present.
The "Duration to x % of note parameter will determine how short or long the staccato note is. I change the accent dot to the same duration as the staccato dot, 5% or less. The accent dot defaulted to 30%, which really didn't sound staccato to my ears.