Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:14 am 
Super Man

See Meas 67 of attached score. I have my Clarinet staff set to voices 1 and 2 for clarinet and voice 3 (midi ch. 3) for Bass Clarinet and added Bass Clarinet, on midi channel 3, to the clarinet instance in ASO. When I need Bass Clarinet, I highlight those notes and hit Ctl 3 to set them to the proper voice. But they still sound in the normal clarinet range, not an octave lower as Bass Clarinet should sound.
I have successfully used this voice 3 method on flute/piccolo staves.
What am I doing wrong here? Is this a glitch or me?

Attachment:
bs clar.png
bs clar.png [ 245.17 KiB | Viewed 1085 times ]

Attachment:
tk insp.png
tk insp.png [ 43.7 KiB | Viewed 1085 times ]

Attachments:
Untitled-1.ovex [1.2 MiB]
Downloaded 59 times

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:35 pm 
Super User

Pete, in measure 67 of your attached score you have no notation that indicates a requirement for a change to a bass clarinet. Upon opening Kontakt, you have no bass clarinet loaded up in ASO. Perhaps you submitted the wrong version of your score for us to inspect??

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:59 am 
Super User

Attachment:
Pete Bass Clarinet Issue.ovex [542.87 KiB]
Downloaded 58 times

I don’t know if this will be useful to you at all, but just for clarity I stripped out the unneeded parts and was left with just the woodwind section …

The first few measures on your clarinet line contain what I believe you’re looking for with your bass clarinet (and also measure 67).

Your bassoon part played staccato notes throughout your score. I added an ‘At note end’ sustain value to your staccato dot.

Some may not have noticed this odd behavior of Overture to not invoke the ‘At note end’ keyswitch under some circumstances. This is noticeable if you focus on your bassoon line. This only happens if playback is interrupted. If you play the file back without stopping it, the ‘At note end’ keyswitch is correctly applied at measure 35. To beat this odd behavior, you can insert a dummy parameter to force the change from staccato to sustain just before the 16th note run at measure 35; this is what I did on this file. This can be helpful when checking your sound and proofing, or when stopping your playback to make additions or corrections. Proper playback will be maintained even if your ‘At note end’ keyswitch chooses not to work correctly. I didn’t make the ‘Sustain’ invisible at measure 35 (so that you could see it) which you would probably want to do to maintain a clean looking score.

I know, this should all be fixed and maybe it will be in the next update. Here’s hoping.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:56 am 
Super Man

Hi Merv,
First- thank you for putting time into this. I appreciate it.
Yes, the At Note End problem is a real pain and Don's list of coming fixes addresses it (I hope successfully!).
Your solution does work but how tedious to have to add dummy expressions over the course of a long score. I have been aware of this issue since the last release and just living" with it, plus or minus regular expletives....

As for the switch to Bass Clarinet, I see you put it on voice 3 and midi channel 2. However, in my original, it was also on voice 3 (except midi channel 3...just keeps it neater in my brain). Yet, I could not get it to sound at the correct octave lower, even setting the pitch at -14 (octave plus Bb transposition, which is normal for the instrument).

Also, (another of the countless bugs in the program at present?) your Bass Clarinet part plays back, but if I click on the notes, except the D, there is no sound! Figure that one out!
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:40 am 
Super User

Yes, to get sound from the bass clarinet part while entering notes you actually have to switch into voice 3 on your Control Bar. I won’t even attempt to explain how or why this is the case, but like you, I am hoping for some relief with the upcoming update.

I just used Voice 2 for the bass clarinet because that’s what Kontakt defaulted to – you can use any voice you like.