Adding Another Instrument to Instance of Kontakt

This is where you ask specific questions on how to use Overture.
DrLeonard

Re: Adding Another Instrument to Instance of Kontakt

Post by DrLeonard »

Dean Krommydas wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:33 pm Right-click on the Flute Track and click Choose Track's Instrument. Then click the Software Instrument tab. From there you should have a drop-down offering you to select KONTAKT. Select it.
I did that, but I can't back out of that window ("Done" button is inactive) until I select an instrument there -- so I can't get to the Flute track to see an empty instance of Kontakt.
I think, in my system, Kontakt and Amadeus are the only choices, and Amadeus is always in the "Show Track's Instrument" window. So maybe I am supposed to follow another procedure to load instruments? Would I load them from the "Show Track's Instrument" window by selecting them from the instrument dropdown at the left? But I have tried that, and when I get to the Oboe I the Flute is there already, and if I delete it the Flute goes away on its own track.
The only way I can load instruments on a track is to select "Software Instrument" each time.
Dr. R. C. Leonard
http://www.rcleonard.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hamilton, Illinois USA
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

DrLeonard wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:28 pm I did that, but I can't back out of that window ("Done" button is inactive) until I select an instrument there -- so I can't get to the Flute track to see an empty instance of Kontakt.
OK...it's something in your original track setup...so starting again > after you right-click on the flute track and select choose track's instrument...under the MIDI Device tab go one more step and select/click an instrument (in blue) from the last column:
Select An Actual Instrument.png
Select An Actual Instrument.png (361.24 KiB) Viewed 740 times
"Done" will become active. After that - select the "Software Instrument" tab and now choose KONTAKT and click "Done."

Then return to flute track > right-click > Show Instrument > and KONTAKT should now show up (and you can return to trying the other steps).
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

I just want to add that there are also pre-made templates in Overture when you first open it. If you, for example, choose "Create from Template" / Amadeus / Full Orchestra...the samples are already loaded and you can delete or add staves to make the ensemble what you need. You can then save this as a template. This could be a real timer-saver.
DrLeonard

Post by DrLeonard »

Dean Krommydas wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:25 am under the MIDI Device tab go one more step and select/click an instrument (in blue) from the last column:
My "MIDI Device" tab has "None", "GM Player 1" and "GM Player 2." Would I use the GM Player flute if I want the Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra flute (which I can select in the "normal" way from Kontakt in the "Software Instrument" tab)?
I am sure there is something about my system that doesn't correspond to what other see on their systems, especially when the Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra logo, with its dropdown list of instruments, is always on the left side of the screen whenever I click on "Show Track's Instrument" -- even if nothing has been loaded.
Could it be that an instance of Kontakt is always running, and instrumental selections are always put into that instance? If so, the suggestion that multiple instances of Kontakt might be the cause of the "stuttering" problem I described in the other thread would not be accurate. My original attempt was to reduce the instances of Kontakt to four (for the different instrumental groups) but maybe that wasn't necessary and the number of instances was never the cause of the playback distortion I get in some parts of the piece.
For those of you with expertise in these matters, I apologize once again for my ineptitude.
Dr. R. C. Leonard
Hamilton, Illinois USA
Bill Reed
Super User

Post by Bill Reed »

You use Software Instrument.
Last edited by Bill Reed on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overture 5, Sibelius, Finale 25, Notion 6, Cubase
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Dean, Dr. Leonard,

Odd but I have never seen the Choose Instrument (or Insert Instrument) dialog with the Done inactive, even if there is no instrument selected in the rightmost column.

Perhaps this is platform-dependent. My latest observations are with Overture version 5.6.3-3 running under Windows 7.

Certainly the ploy of choosing an instrument with a GM player and the General MIDI "library" in effect to force the Done button to come to life is very clever.

Regards,

Alan
DrLeonard

Post by DrLeonard »

Bill Reed wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:57 am You use Software Instrument.
That's what I have always used before to load instruments, until it was suggested that I might be creating multiple instances of Kontakt that way and I should use "Existing Instrument" instead. But I am beginning to wonder if that is what actually happens.
Dr. R. C. Leonard
Hamilton, Illinois USA
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, RC
DrLeonard wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:34 pm
That's what I have always used before to load instruments, until it was suggested that I might be creating multiple instances of Kontakt that way and I should use "Existing Instrument" instead. But I am beginning to wonder if that is what actually happens.
As I understand it, the Existing Instrument button allows us to select an existing instance of a player and use that same instance as well for the track now being set up. The Software Instrument button will create, for the track being set up, a new instance of whatever player is selected.

Maybe.

Alan
Bill Reed
Super User

Post by Bill Reed »

Using Existing Instrument doesn't create a new instance of Kontakt.

I apologize that I haven't read through this whole thread; is there a reason you want to avoid individual instances of Kontakt? They all share common code in RAM, so don't add much extra overhead.

Much easier to just drag instruments into your score from the Library panel on the left.
Overture 5, Sibelius, Finale 25, Notion 6, Cubase
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

There is nothing wrong with using individual instances of Kontakt, and doing it (what I think is) Bill’s way is certainly a lot easier and convenient. The only reason that I make it harder on myself is to be able to open a populated instance and see several instruments playing at once (preferably within a section). This is handy for troubleshooting, adjusting and confirming what is happening in ASO through the Kontakt window.
DrLeonard

Post by DrLeonard »

Thanks for the responses. I have concluded that the whole premise of this thread I started is without merit. The problem I am trying to solve ("stuttering" or static-like distortion on playback, in fast and heavily-noted sections) has nothing to do with how many instances of Kontakt might be running! I will continue as before to load instruments from the "Software Instrument" tab, or I may try dragging them to the score from the Amadeus list on the left side. Thanks again to everyone for chiming in.
Dr. R. C. Leonard
Hamilton, Illinois USA
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

Hi everyone, and Dr. Leonard,

I'd like to just re-summarize a few things because you are so close to completing what you need...and while there are a number of worthwhile points coming up... it seems to all be bleeding together a bit...and forget apologizing for ineptitude! No worries...we have all been where you are and are still learning all the time.

As far as the original topic here...you should be able to confirm the things you wanted to know and accomplish everything without a lot of effort. So, please...

Starting fresh using your existing score:

To check immediately how many instances of KONTAKT you actually have loaded or not...simply right-click on any track (or go to the top menu drop-down for "Tracks") and select "Choose Track's Instrument." Then click the "Existing Instrument" tab. When you click on the "Existing Instrument" tab, it should list all of the instances of KONTAKT there. You can also look at your track's setup in the "Remap Playback" option from the "Tracks" dropdown. The bottom line here is that you should be able to quickly see however many instances of KONTAKT are listed there or not. Either way, this provides an answer in less than 10 seconds to the "I think I have loaded too many instances of KONTAKT" question. I am still not certain if we've confirmed this or not.

So...after all this...why not finish setting up your existing score if possible? In your particular case, you had an issue with the "Done" option being greyed out... so you couldn't go beyond that. Let's take it from there and I'm going to grab all the other steps and put it here one more time. Please try:

1. Start fresh and load your existing score.

2. Right-click on your Flute Track and select "Choose Track's Instrument" - then click "Flute" on the far right column. The only reason you are doing this...is because in your particular project your "Done" option is greyed out. So verify that "Done" is now no longer greyed out and proceed to the next step.

Select An Actual Instrument.png
Select An Actual Instrument.png (361.24 KiB) Viewed 686 times

3. Select the "Software Instrument" tab and choose KONTAKT from that dropdown. By doing this...you have assigned this instance of KONTAKT to the Flute track.

4. Returning to the same flute track...right-click on it but this time select "Show Track's Instrument." It should then show you the empty instance of KONTAKT you just loaded. Now you want to actually load a flute sample inside of KONTAKT.

5. Use KONTAKT's File navigation on the left to locate ASO and the samples on your SSD C Drive:

KONTAKT FILE NAVIGATION PANEL.JPG
KONTAKT FILE NAVIGATION PANEL.JPG (46.95 KiB) Viewed 686 times

Select the flute sample of your choice and double click it. It will load automatically and assign it a channel (Channel 1). You can also drag it from the navigation window over into the blank area of KONTAKT on the right (but don't let this confuse you - if it does, simply double click the sample to load it into KONTAKT).

Drag n Drop In KONTAKT.png
Drag n Drop In KONTAKT.png (45.52 KiB) Viewed 686 times

6. Verify your channels.

Notice in KONTAKT it is set to Channel 1:

Channel 1 - KONTAKT.JPG
Channel 1 - KONTAKT.JPG (23.25 KiB) Viewed 673 times

Then go to the Flute track in Overture and open the Inspector Panel...verifying your Flute track is set to Channel 1:

Track Inspector - Verify Channel.JPG
Track Inspector - Verify Channel.JPG (41.09 KiB) Viewed 686 times

Play some notes and make sure you can hear the sample playing.

If you can - you're on your way. So, assuming you have sound and it's working...let's continue and set up the next track using the steps from the other thread.

7. Next - go to the Piccolo track, right-click PIccolo Track, select > Choose Track's Instrument and this time select Existing Instrument. From the drop-down, you must choose the existing KONTAKT instance you setup for the Flute. It may even say "Flute" but don't let that confuse you. Simply select it.

8. Return to the Piccolo Track...right-click on it, then select "Show Track's Instrument." It should show you the same instance of KONTAKT you had for your Flute track. Now repeat the steps...

9. Use KONTAKT's File navigation on the left to locate ASO and the samples on your SSD C Drive. Select the piccolo sample of your choice and double click it. It will load automatically and assign it a channel (Channel 2).

10. Verify your channels match. In KONTAKT Channel 2 should be set for the Piccolo and in Overture, select the Piccolo track, open the track inspector, and set the Piccolo to Channel 2.

You then continue this way - for your 3rd instrument - Oboe (Channel 3 in KONTAKT and Channel 3 in Overture), and 4th, 5th instruments etc. Until you complete the woodwinds.

Once you are done with the woodwinds... you move on to loading a new instance of KONTAKT for your Brass, one for Percussion, and one for Strings... starting over again each time with your channel assignments. You don't have to do it this way...but it is a good practice.

I'm going to stop there though - and wait to hear the good news that you've set up everything OK for the winds section. If you need help...feel free to pm or others here can help per usual. Let's just try not to get off track from you getting this working with your existing project. There are several other possible variables, but let's try to get the basics working first.

Whether or not your system can handle things will become clearer after having gone through everything correctly, both here and in the other thread. I may merge all this eventually...but let's see if we can finish it out to the end. It would be a shame not to. Good luck.
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Dean,

Thank you for that excellent tutorial. It illuminates many aspects of this complicated situation.

Best regards,

Alan
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

Thank you, Alan. :)

Just needed some time. Hopefully, it will be helpful.

Be well!
DrLeonard

Post by DrLeonard »

I will attempt to follow Dean's instructions at some point (and, again, many thanks for the tutorial), but first I want to finish the piece I am working on in the original file. I should explain that I am submitting the piece (in segments) to an instructor at the University of Wisconsin for critique, so I don't want to wait too long before the next submission -- which hopefully will be the last for this piece, since I am closing in on the coda. At least I can make a recording of it through Overture's "Export to File" feature, where I don't get the "stuttering" or "crackling" distortion I have been getting on playback.
Dr. R. C. Leonard
Hamilton, Illinois USA