[Solved]Transpose function- Dimished second interval

Report problems, bugs, etc.
Forum rules
Please be specific when reporting bugs and be able to reproduce them.
If you don't, the post will most likely be ignored or deleted.
TenorAlan
Super User

[Solved]Transpose function- Dimished second interval

Post by TenorAlan »

Observed on Overture 5.6.3-3/Windows 7

It seems that when using the Transpose function, if (for chromatic transposition) the interval Diminished Second is selected, the transposition performed is 1 semitone, whereas I believe Diminished Second should perform a one-step, 0 semitone transposition (as from C to Dbb, or B# to C).

A transposition of 1 semitone should be performed for the intervals Minor Second or Augmented Unison. Indeed those both perform a transposition of 1 semitone. The transposition performed for the interval Diminished Second is the same as that performed for the interval Minor Second.

Finally, a reminder that I think it would be useful for the list of chromatic transposition intervals to state next to each entry the interval in semitones.

Alan
PeteFine
Super Man

Re: Transpose function- Dimished second interval

Post by PeteFine »

From a transpositional standpoint, a diminished second and minor second are two ways of saying the same thing same. They are redundant and serve no purpose in the end result. A B# or C or D double flat, raised a minor second, will give you a C# no matter what you call it. Whether it notates as a C# or Db should be governed by the key signature. The Chromatic Transpose menu could be simplified and it would accomplish the same result.
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Pete,
PeteFine wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:43 pm From a transpositional standpoint, a diminished second and minor second are two ways of saying the same thing same.
Not so. Transposition by a diminished second does not change the pitch at all, while transposition by a minor second changes the pitch by one semitone.

A minor second and an augmented unison are the same interval in semitones, though (1). A major second and a diminished third are the same interval in semitones (2).

A diminished interval is always one semitone less than the similarly-numbered minor interval (if that exists), or one semitone less than the similarly-numbered perfect interval (if that exists). That's why it is called "diminished".

Best regards,

Alan
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

I now see what you meant. Yes, we don't refer to the "perfect" intervals, (4th, 5th, octave or unison) lowered by a semitone as "minor". This is one of those very peculiar things about our music system that is overly complex, because in reality a diminished 4th sounds as a 3rd and an augmented unison sounds as a minor 2nd. (Why not, for example call a diminished 5th a "minor" fifth?) But we are stuck with it.

"Transposition by a diminished second does not change the pitch at all"... see what I mean? How can something that does not change the pitch be referred to as "transposition"? :roll:

In any case, when trying to accomplish a chromatic transposition via a notation program, maybe it would be sufficient to just indicate the number of steps (semitones). This is how Overture does it in the track inspector Settings/Transposition menu.
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Pete,
PeteFine wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:17 am I now see what you meant. Yes, we don't refer to the "perfect" intervals, (4th, 5th, octave or unison) lowered by a semitone as "minor". This is one of those very peculiar things about our music system that is overly complex, because in reality a diminished 4th sounds as a 3rd and an augmented unison sounds as a minor 2nd. (Why not, for example call a diminished 5th a "minor" fifth?) But we are stuck with it.

Yes, and my musical background is so feeble that when I get involved with these matters I have to keep a "cheat sheet" on my desk. I think it is "authentic".
"Transposition by a diminished second does not change the pitch at all"... see what I mean? How can something that does not change the pitch be referred to as "transposition"? :roll:
Well, it's like zero being a number, I guess. It took a long time for our species to get used to that!
In any case, when trying to accomplish a chromatic transposition via a notation program, maybe it would be sufficient to just indicate the number of steps (semitones). This is how Overture does it in the track inspector Settings/Transposition menu.
That of course suits me much better!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Alan